1922 National Intercollegiate Basketball Tournament
The 1922 National Intercollegiate Basketball Tournament was the first national championship tournament ever held in intercollegiate basketball. Played March 9–11 in Indianapolis, Indiana, it attracted six teams, including five conference champions.
Participants included Wabash College, Kalamazoo College, Grove City College (Pennsylvania), S.I.A.A. tournament runner-up Mercer College (Georgia), Illinois Wesleyan and the University of Idaho. The Western Conference and Eastern Intercollegiate League declined invitations to participate.
The following conferences were represented: Pacific Coast Conference (Idaho), Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association (Mercer), Western Pennsylvania League (Grove City), Illinois Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (Illinois Wesleyan), Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (Kalamazoo) and the Indiana Intercollegiate Athletic Association (Wabash).
Wabash won the championship game 43–23 over Kalamazoo; Wabash finished with a season record of 21–3, winning all three tournament games in convincing fashion. They were coached by the legendary Robert E. "Pete" Vaughan, and their players were Clyde O Grater, Alonzo Goldsberry, Herbert Crane, Elmer G Roll, Lee N "Pete" Thorn, Ovid M Shelley, Maurice Chadwick, Carl Nurnberger, Paul Schanlaub, Donald Burdette, Reeve S Peare, Fred B Adam. These 12 were the Basketball "W" Men. Grater was the Captain of the Wabash Little Giants with Adam being the Captain Elect. The team averaged 15.08 field goals and 6.12 foul goals per game for the season. High point man was Goldsberry.
- March 9–11, 1922, in Indianapolis
|Grove City (PA)||13|
- "Idaho to open in title games". Spokane Daily Chronicle. (Washington). March 9, 1922. p. 22.
- Scott, Jon. "History of the Early S.I.A.A. Atlanta Basketball Tournament". Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- The Wabash Year Book. 1. 1922. pp. 75, 82.
- "Lee Norman "Pete" Thorn".
- "1922 National Intercollegiate Basketball Champions - Wabash College 1922". Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- "Wesleyan and Wabash Fives to Open Tourney". Chicago Tribune. March 9, 1922. p. 10. Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- "Wabash Wins Easily". New York Times. March 10, 1922. p. 12. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- "Wabash Takes Title". New York Times. March 12, 1922. p. 27. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- "Kalamazoo College Basketball, Men's Basketball All-Time Scores". Archived from the original on 2010-05-27. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- Wabash College Basketball 2008-09 Media Guide (PDF). p. 40. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- "Alpha-Pi: Wabash College". The Caduceus of Kappa Sigma. Kappa Sigma Fraternity. XXXVII: 521. April 1922. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- The Phi Gamma Delta. Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity. XLIV: 663, 761. May 1922 https://books.google.com/books?id=rDTPAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA663&dq=%22national+intercollegiate+%22+champion+OR+championship+OR+champions+OR+championships&lr=&as_drrb_is=b&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=1870&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=1925&num=100&as_brr=0&cd=71#v=onepage&q=%22national%20intercollegiate%20%22%20champion%20OR%20championship%20OR%20champions%20OR%20championships&f=false. Retrieved 2010-04-12. Missing or empty
- "Wabash Hoops: The Wonder Fives; The Early Champions". Archived from the original on 2009-02-26. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- "Tourney for Colleges". New York Times. January 24, 1922. p. 12. Retrieved 2010-04-12.