1922 National Intercollegiate Basketball Tournament
The 1922 National Intercollegiate Basketball Tournament was the first national championship tournament ever held in intercollegiate basketball. The 1921–22 Wabash College Little Giants team won the championship game, 43–23, over Kalamazoo College. The tournament attracted six teams, including five conference champions, and was played entirely in Indianapolis, Indiana. Participants included Wabash College, Kalamazoo College, Grove City College (Pennsylvania), S.I.A.A. tournament runner-up Mercer College (Georgia), Illinois Wesleyan and Idaho. The Western Conference and Eastern Intercollegiate League declined invitations to participate.
The following conferences were represented: Pacific Coast Conference, Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association, Western Pennsylvania League, Illinois Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association and the Indiana Intercollegiate Athletic Association.
Wabash finished with a season record of 21–3, winning all three tournament games in convincing fashion. They were coached by the legendary Robert E. "Pete" Vaughan, and their players were Fred Adam, Paul Schanlaub, Lon Goldsberry, John Burns, and Clyde Grater.
Below is the tournament bracket, played on March 9, 10 and 11, 1922 in Indianapolis.
|Grove City (PA)||13|
- Scott, Jon. "History of the Early S.I.A.A. Atlanta Basketball Tournament". Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- "Wesleyan and Wabash Fives to Open Tourney". Chicago Tribune. March 9, 1922. p. 10. Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- "Wabash Wins Easily". New York Times. March 10, 1922. p. 12. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- "Wabash Takes Title". New York Times. March 12, 1922. p. 27. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- "Kalamazoo College Basketball, Men's Basketball All-Time Scores". Archived from the original on 2010-05-27. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- Wabash College Basketball 2008-09 Media Guide (PDF). p. 40. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- "The Caduceus of Kappa Sigma". XXXVII. Kappa Sigma Fraternity. April 1922: 521. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- "The Phi Gamma Delta". XLIV. Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity. May 1922: 663, 761. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- "Wabash Hoops: The Wonder Fives; The Early Champions". Archived from the original on 2009-02-26. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- "Tourney for Colleges". New York Times. January 24, 1922. p. 12. Retrieved 2010-04-12.