1922 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- February 1 – Akron Art Institute opens in Ohio.
- February 11–18 – Modern Art Week (Semana de Arte Moderna) at the Theatro Municipal, São Paulo, marks the start of Modernism in Brazil.
- December 16
- December 20 – Antigone by Jean Cocteau appears on the stage of the Théâtre de l'Atelier in the Montmartre district of Paris, with settings by Pablo Picasso, music by Arthur Honegger and costumes by Gabrielle Chanel. There are some protests by Dadaists.
- Perm State Art Gallery in the Soviet Union established in a former Orthodox cathedral.
- Max Beerbohm's collection of caricatures, Rossetti and His Circle, is published in London.
- Fernando Álvarez de Sotomayor y Zaragoza, court painter to Alfonso XIII of Spain, is appointed director of the Museo del Prado in Madrid.
- German psychiatrist Hans Prinzhorn publishes Bildnerei der Geisteskranken (Artistry of the Mentally Ill).
See also: Category:1922 sculptures
- Max Beckmann – The Iron Footbridge
- Alvar Cawén – Sokea soittoniekka (Blind Musician)
- Jean Charlot – The Massacre of the Templo Mayor (mural, Antiguo Colegio de San Ildefonso, Mexico City)
- Salvador Dalí – Cabaret Scene
- Giorgio de Chirico – The Prodigal Son (Il figliol prodigo)
- Lydia Field Emmet – Harriet Lancashire White and Her Children
- J. W. Godward
- Nu Sur la Plage
- Juan Gris – Le Pierrot
- Paul Klee – Twittering Machine
- George Washington Lambert – Anzac, the landing, 1915
- John Lavery – Michael Collins (Love of Ireland)
- L. S. Lowry – A Manufacturing Town
- Edward McCartan – Dream Lady (Eugene Field Memorial, Chicago)
- Dugald Sutherland MacColl – On the Terrace
- Sydney March
- André Masson – Pedestal Table in the Studio
- Joan Miró – The Farm
- William Orpen – To the Unknown British Soldier in France
- Maxfield Parrish – Daybreak
- Pablo Picasso – Two Women Running on the Beach (The Race)
- Charles Sheeler – Pertaining to Yachts and Yachting
- Sophie Taeuber-Arp – Oval Composition with Abstract Motifs
January to June
- January 11 – William Turnbull, Scottish-born sculptor (d. 2012).
- January 17 – Robert De Niro, Sr., American abstract expressionist painter (d. 1993).
- January 23 – Leon Golub, American painter (d. 2004)
- March 3 – Louis Maratier, French post-impressionist artist and painter (d. 1998).
- March 10 – Kiyoshi Yamashita, Japanese outsider artist
- March 27 – Jules Olitski, American abstract painter, printmaker, and sculptor (d. 2007).
- March 28 – Grace Hartigan, American Abstract Expressionist painter (d. 2008)
- April 22 – Richard Diebenkorn, American painter (d. 1993).
- April 24 – Richard Hamilton, English painter and collage artist.
- May 7 – Joe O'Donnell, American photographer (d. 2007).
- June 22 – Bill Blass, American fashion designer (d. 2002).
July to December
- July 3 – Guillaume Cornelis van Beverloo, "Corneille", painter
- July 25 – Fred Yates, English artist (d. 2008).
- August 8 – Rudi Gernreich, Austrian American fashion designer (d. 1985).
- September 3 – Steffan Danielsen, Faroese painter (d. 1976).
- October 3 – John Craxton, English painter (d. 2009).
- September 9 – Pauline Baynes, English book illustrator (d. 2008).
- December 8 – Lucian Freud, German-born British painter and printmaker (d. 2011)
- December 17 – Aart van den IJssel, Dutch sculptor (d. 1983).
- December 31 – Theodoros Stamos, Greek American abstract expressionist painter (d.1997).
- January 23 – René Beeh, German painter and draughtsman from Alsace (b. 1886)
- February – Algernon Graves, art historian (b. 1845)
- February 3 – John Butler Yeats, Irish painter (b. 1839)
- February 5 – Paul Durand-Ruel, art dealer, patron of the Impressionists (b. 1831)
- February 19 – Karl Isakson, Swedish artist (b. 1878)
- March 16 – Reinhold Lepsius, painter (b. 1857)
- May 15 – Leslie Ward ("Spy"), cartoonist (b. 1851)
- August – Robert Bateman, painter, illustrator, sculptor and architect (b. 1842)
- September 1 – Edmund Leighton, English historical genre painter (b. 1852)
- September 5 – Georgette Agutte, painter (b. 1867)
- September 8 – Léon Bonnat, painter (b. 1833)
- October 18 – August Gaul, sculptor (b. 1869)
- December 13 – John William Godward, English neo-Classicist painter (b. 1861) (suicide)
- December 15 – Sir Sydney Prior Hall, English portraitist and illustrator (b. 1842)
- date unknown
- "Jean Cocteau – biography 1889-1922". Jean Cocteau Committee. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Rossetti and His Circle (1922)". Green Art Collection. The New York Society Library. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- To the Unknown British Soldier in France
- "Lucian Freud: Painter of Flesh", The Chronicle of Higher Education, July 21, 2011. Accessed 18 February 2013
- Artmagick: Biography of Robert Bateman. Accessed 18 February 2013