1923 Fresno State Bulldogs football team
|1923 Fresno State Bulldogs football|
|Conference||California Coast Conference|
|1923 record||7–2 (3–0 CCC)|
|Head coach||Arthur W. Jones (3rd season)|
|1923 California Coast Conference football standings|
|Pacific (CA) +||4||–||0||–||0||7||–||0||–||0|
|Fresno State +||3||–||0||–||0||7||–||2||–||0|
|San Mateo JC||1||–||3||–||0||–||–|
|San Jose State||0||–||4||–||0||0||–||6||–||0|
Fresno State competed in the California Coast Conference (CCC) from 1922 to 1924. The 1923 team was led by head coach Arthur W. Jones in his third year at the helm. They finished as co-champion of the CCC, with a record of seven wins and two losses (7–2, 3–0 CCC). The Bulldogs outscored their opponents 211–108 for the season.
At the end of the season, the champion of the CCC North Division (Pacific) was to meet the champion of the CCC South Division (Fresno State) for the conference championship. However, the two teams could not agree on a site and the game was never played.
|October 6||Reedley High School*||Fresno, CA||W 39–0|
|October 13 ?||Caruthers American Legion (CA)*||Fresno, CA ?||W 39–0|
|October 20||Sacramento Junior College[note 2]||Fresno, CA||W 53–18|
|October 27||at Cal Aggies[note 3]*||Davis, CA||W 26–14|
|November 3||at Modesto Junior College||Modesto, CA||W 7–6|
|November 10||at Nevada*||Mackay Stadium [note 4] • Reno, NV||L 3–46|
|November 17||Redlands*||Fresno, CA||W 10–6|
|November 24||Bakersfield Junior College[note 5]||Fresno, CA||W 32–6|
|November 29||at San Diego State[note 6]*||Balboa Stadium • San Diego, CA (Rivalry)||L 2–12|
- California State University, Fresno (Fresno State) was known as Fresno State Normal School from 1911 to 1948.
- Sacramento City College was known as Sacramento Junior College from 1916 to 1936.
- University of California, Davis was known as Northern Branch of the College of Agriculture from 1922 to 1959.
- This stadium is the predecessor to the current Mackay Stadium, which was opened for the 1966 season."University of Nevada, Reno; Mackay Stadium". Retrieved January 4, 2017.
- Bakersfield College was known as Bakersfield Junior College from 1909 to 1946.
- San Diego State University was known as San Diego State Teachers College from 1924 to 1934.
- "Kern County Junior College ReneGade Sports" (PDF). Kern County Junior College. December 21, 1923. Retrieved April 8, 2017.
- "Aggies Lose To Fresno, 25 to 14". Woodland Daily Democrat. Woodland, California. October 29, 1923. p. 1. Retrieved March 1, 2018 – via Newspapers.com.
- Ted Steinmann (November 30, 1923). "State College Whips Fresno, 12 to 2; Local Team Surprises Supporters". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California.
- "Fresno State 2016 Media Guide" (PDF). Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- "Fresno State Yearly Results". Retrieved January 7, 2017.
|This college football season article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a sports team in California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|