1923 in France
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|See also:||Other events of 1923|
History of France • Timeline • Years
Events from the year 1923 in France.
- 11 January - Occupation of the Ruhr begins by French and Belgian troops to force Germany to pay its reparation payments.
- September - Resultant strikes called off by German government and followed by a state of emergency.
- October - Rhenish Republic is proclaimed at Aachen (Aix-la-Chapelle).
Arts and literature
- March - Antigone by Jean Cocteau appears on a Paris stage. Settings by Pablo Picasso, music by Arthur Honegger, and costumes by Gabrielle Chanel. Antonin Artaud played the part of Tiresias.
- 26 May - The inaugural 24 hours of Le Mans race is won by André Lagache and René Léonard.
- 24 June - Tour de France begins.
- 22 July - Tour de France ends, won by Henri Pélissier.
January to June
- 7 January - Jean Lucienbonnet, motor racing driver (died 1962)
- 13 February - Philippe de Chérisey, writer, radio humorist and actor (died 1985)
- February - André Gorz, journalist and social philosopher (died 2007)
- 22 March - Marcel Marceau, mime artist (died 2007)
- 1 April - Jean Catoire, composer (died 2005)
- 5 April - Léon Fleuriot, linguist and historian (died 1987)
- 9 April - Albert Decourtray, Roman Catholic Cardinal (died 1994)
- 9 May - Claude Piéplu, actor (died 2006)
- 27 May - Nicole Stéphane, actress, producer and director (died 2007)
- 7 June - Jean Baratte, soccer player and manager (died 1986)
- 10 June - Madeleine Lebeau, film actress (died 2016)
- 16 June - Silvia Monfort, actress and theatre director (died 1991)
- 24 June - Marc Riboud, photographer (died 2016)
- 27 June - Jacques Berthier, composer (died 1994)
July to December
- 3 July - Charles Hernu, politician and Minister (died 1990)
- 23 July - Claude Luter, jazz clarinetist (died 2006)
- 1 August - Jean Prat, international rugby player (died 2005)
- 23 August - Georges Perros, writer (died 1978)
- 2 September - René Thom, mathematician (died 2002)
- 13 September — Edouard Boubat, photographer (died 1999)
- 16 November - Marc Camoletti, playwright (died 2003)
- 24 November - Paul Haeberlin, chef and restaurateur (died 2008)
- 29 November - Christian Beullac, politician and Minister (died 1986)
- 31 December - Michel de Salzmann, psychiatrist (died 2001)
Full date unknown
- François Ozenda, painter (died 1976).
- 19 February - Jean-Jules-Antoine Lecomte du Nouy, painter and sculptor (born 1842)
- 22 February - Théophile Delcassé, Statesman (born 1852)
- 26 March - Sarah Bernhardt, actress (born 1844)
- 28 March - Michel-Joseph Maunoury, military leader (born 1847)
- 10 June - Pierre Loti, sailor and writer (born 1850)
- 19 July - Auguste Bouché-Leclercq, historian (born 1842)
- 5 November - Jacques d'Adelswärd-Fersen, aristocrat, novelist and poet (born 1880)
- 12 December - Raymond Radiguet, author (born 1903)
- 27 December - Gustave Eiffel, structural engineer and architect, designer of the Eiffel Tower (born 1832)
- 31 December - Édouard Stephan, astronomer (born 1837)
Full date unknown
- Charles Jean Baptiste Collin-Mezin, maker of violins, violas, cellos, basses and bows (born 1841).