1923 in art
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The year 1923 in art involved some significant events and new works.
- March 20 – The Arts Club of Chicago hosts the opening of Pablo Picasso's first United States show, Original Drawings by Pablo Picasso.
- May 8 – Göteborgs Konsthall opens as the art gallery for the Gothenburg Exhibition.
- Publication of The Art Spirit by Robert Henri.
- Chaim Soutine sells sixty of his paintings from a Paris showing to the American art collector Albert C. Barnes and begins his series of paintings of beef carcasses.
- A joint exhibition with his mother, Suzanne Valadon, at the Galerie Bernheim-Jeune in Paris brings the paintings of Maurice Utrillo to prominence.
- East London Group forms as an amateur art club in the East End of London.
- Freer Gallery of Art opens in Washington, D.C. as the first Smithsonian museum dedicated to the fine arts.
- Remington Art Memorial established in Ogdensburg, New York.
- Harwood Museum of Art established in Taos, New Mexico.
- Beaux Arts Gallery established in London by Frederick and Helen Lessore.
- Max Beckmann – Dance in Baden-Baden
- Constantin Brâncuși – Bird in Space (sculpture; first version)
- Felice Casorati – Meriggio (Noon)
- Robert Delaunay – Portrait of Tristan Tzara
- Marcel Duchamp – The Bride Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors, Even (The Large Glass) is completed
- Max Ernst – Pietà or Revolution by Night
- M. C. Escher – Dolphins (woodcut)
- George Grosz – Ecce Homo (portfolio of lithographs)
- Auguste Herbin – Bowls Players
- Marguerite Huré – Stained glass windows at Église Notre-Dame du Raincy
- Wassily Kandinsky – On White II
- Ernst Ludwig Kirchner – The Sleigh Ride
- Sir John Lavery – The Red Rose
- Sir Bertram Mackennal
- Henri Matisse
- Mikhail Nesterov – Girl by the Pool
- William Orpen – To the Unknown British Soldier in France
- Pablo Picasso
- The Pipes of Pan
- Paulo on a Donkey
- Man Ray – Object to Be Destroyed (destroyed 1957)
- Gerrit Rietveld – Red and Blue Chair (colours added in De Stijl style at about this date)
- Stanley Royle – Sheffield from Wincobank Wood
- Stanley Spencer – The Betrayal
- Lorado Taft – The Recording Angel (sculpture, Waupun, Wisconsin)
- Suzanne Valadon – Blue Room
- World War I Memorial (Berwick, Pennsylvania)
- Yokoyama Taikan – Metempsychosis (生々流転, Seisei ruten, "The Wheel of Life", Nihonga scroll painting)
- February 10 – Shirley Jaffe, American-born abstract painter and sculptor (d. 2016).
- March 9 – André Courrèges, French fashion designer (d. 2016).
- April 8 – George Fisher, American political cartoonist (d. 2003).
- May 3 – Norman Thelwell, English cartoonist (d. 2004).
- May 15 – Richard Avedon, American photographer (d. 2004).
- May 22 – Max Velthuijs, Dutch painter, illustrator and author (d. 2005).
- May 27 – Inge Morath, Austrian photographer (d. 2002).
- May 31 – Ellsworth Kelly, American artist (d. 2015).
- June 24 – Marc Riboud, French photographer (d. 2016).
- July 12 – Paul Jenkins, American abstract expressionist painter (d. 2012).
- June 25 – Sam Francis, American painter and printmaker (d. 1994).
- September 13 – Edouard Boubat, French photographer (d. 1999).
- September 23 – Osuitok Ipeelee, Canadian Inuit sculptor (d. 2005).
- October 7 – Jean-Paul Riopelle, Canadian painter and sculptor (d. 2002).
- October 27 – Roy Lichtenstein, American pop artist (d. 1997).
- October 28 – David Aronson, Lithuanian American painter (d. 2015).
- December 1 – Morris, Belgian cartoonist (d. 2001).
- December 13 – Antoni Tàpies, Spanish painter (d. 2012).
- date unknown – François Ozenda, French painter (d. 1976).
- January 12 – Marc Ferrez, Brazilian photographer (b. 1843)
- January 31 – Eligiusz Niewiadomski, Polish modernist painter, art critic and assassin (b. 1869)
- March 22 – Benjamin Williams Leader, English landscape painter (b. 1831)
- April 15 – Aleksander Sochaczewski, Polish painter (b. 1843)
- April 17 – Jan Kotěra, Czech artist, architect and designer (b. 1871)
- May 29 – Adolf Oberländer, German caricaturist (b. 1845)
- June 15 – Joseph B. Davol, American marine painter (b. 1864)
- June 21 – Edward Clark Potter, American sculptor (b. 1857)
- August 2/3 – Jacoba van Heemskerck, Dutch painter and graphic artist (b. 1876) (angina).
- August 5 – Candace Wheeler, American designer (b. 1827)
- October 2 – John Wilson Bengough, Canadian cartoonist (b. 1851)
- November 2 – Stevan Aleksić, Serbian painter (b. 1876).
- November 27 – Penleigh Boyd, Australian landscape painter (b. 1890) (car accident)
- December 13 – Théophile Steinlen, Swiss/French painter (b. 1859)
- date unknown – Edwin Romanzo Elmer, American painter (b. 1850)