1924 Brownlow Medal
|1924 Brownlow Medal|
|Winner||Edward 'Carji' Greeves(Geelong)|
The 1924 Brownlow Medal was the inaugural year the award was presented to the player adjudged the fairest and best player during the Victorian Football League (VFL) home and away season. Edward 'Carji' Greeves of the Geelong Football Club won the medal by polling seven votes during the 1924 VFL season.
The voting system used in the 1924 Brownlow Medal was as follows:
- The field umpire awarded one vote to who he adjudged was the best player on the field.
- The player that finished with the most votes would be awarded the 1924 Brownlow Medal.
- In the event of a tie, the players with the most votes would both receive a replica of the medal.
A player would be deemed ineligible for the award if the player was reported in any match (including finals), found guilty and suspended.
|1st||Edward Greeves, Jr. (Geelong)||7|
|=2nd||George Shorten (Essendon)
|Bert Chadwick (Melbourne)|
|4th||Doug Hayes (Richmond)||4|
|=5th||Paddy O'Brien (Carlton)||3|
|Jack Moriarty (Fitzroy)|
|Arthur Pink (Geelong)|
|Mark Tandy (South Melbourne)|
|=9th||Maurie Beasy (Carlton)||2|
|Norm Beckton (Essendon)|
|Les Bryant (Fitzroy)|
|Jim Spain (Richmond)|
|Colin Watson (St Kilda)|
|Wels Eicke (St Kilda)|
|Jack O'Connell (South Melbourne)|
|Roy Cazaly (South Melbourne)|
Greeves' outstanding season is further outlined by the fact that he is one of the youngest players to win the award, aged just 20 years 312 days at the time.
Greeves' seven best on grounds in just fourteen games played is another amazing statistic. With vote inflation included (where 1 vote in 1924 equals 3 votes), Greeves is one of the most consistent vote-getters of all time with an average of 0.81 votes per game throughout his 10-season career.
|= 7th||St Kilda
Leading vote-getters by team
The following list shows the players who topped their team for the most votes polled.
The Brownlow Medal was presented to the player at League Headquarters, without the fanfare, glitz and glamour of the award today.
- "Best and Fairest Player: Greeves (Geelong) wins medal". The Argus. 18 September 1924. p. 18. Retrieved 25 December 2009.
- Lovett, Michael (ed.). AFL Record Season Guide 2009. Docklands, Victoria: Slattery Media Group. p. 496. ISBN 978-0-9805162-6-5.
- "1924 Brownlow Medal". AFL Tables. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- Lovett, p. 502
- "Edward Greeves - Statistics". AFL Tables. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- "Brownlow Medal - Averages". AFL Tables. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- "1924 Brownlow Medal - Team Totals". AFL Tables. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- "1924 Season Scores - Ladder". AFL Tables. Archived from the original on 3 October 2009. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- Lovett, p. 503