1924 Indianapolis 500
|Indianapolis Motor Speedway|
|Date||May 30, 1924|
|Winner||Lora Lawrence Corum & Joe Boyer (co-winners)|
|Average speed||98.234 mph (158.092 km/h)|
|Pole position||Jimmy Murphy|
|Pole speed||108.037 mph (173.869 km/h)|
|Most laps led||Earl Cooper (119)|
|Pace car||Cole V8|
|Pace car driver||Lew Pettijohn|
|Honorary referee||Henry Ford|
The 12th International 500-Mile Sweepstakes Race was held at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Friday, May 30, 1924.
Lora Lawrence Corum started the race in the #15 entry, and was relieved during the race by Joe Boyer. Boyer proceeded to drive the car to victory, and both drivers were credited as "co-winners" for the 1924 race.
Boyer led the first lap of the race in his original #9 entry. After Boyer got out of the car and took over the #15, the #9 entry continued in the race, taken over by Ernie Ansterburg, Corum, and later Thane Houser. Houser crashed the car after 176 laps, and Boyer's original car was credited with 18th place.
Four-lap (10 mile) qualifying runs were utilized.
|1||21||15|| L. L. Corum (laps 1-111)
Joe Boyer (laps 112-200)
|3||1||2||Jimmy Murphy (W)||108.030||1||200||56||Running|
|7||16||14||Fred Comer (R)||92.880||17||200||0||Running|
|9||9||32||Antoine Mourre (R)||99.490||9||200||0||Running|
|10||18||19||Bob McDonogh (R)||91.550||19||200||0||Running|
|13||8||16||Cliff Durant||101.610||8||199||0||Out of gas|
|14||19||26||Bill Hunt (R)||85.040||21||191||0||Flagged|
|16||20||28||Alfred Moss (R)||85.270||20||177||0||Flagged|
|17||22||27||Fred Harder (R)||82.770||22||177||0||Flagged|
|18||5||9||Joe Boyer||104.840||5||176||0||Crash T1|
|19||14||1||Eddie Hearne||99.230||14||151||0||Fuel line|
|20||12||21||Frank Elliott||99.310||12||149||0||Gas tank|
|21||3||5||Tommy Milton (W)||105.200||3||110||0||Gas tank|
|22||10||10||Ernie Ansterburg (R)||99.400||10||2||0||Crash T2|
- For 1924, riding mechanics were optional, however, no teams utilized them.
- First alternate: none
- Fox, Jack C. (1994). The Illustrated History of the Indianapolis 500 1911-1994 (4th ed.). Carl Hungness Publishing. p. 22. ISBN 0-915088-05-3.
- Patton, W. Blaine (May 31, 1924). "Boyer Relieves 'Duesie' Pilot In 106th, Finishing; Corum Officially Wins". The Indianapolis Star. p. 1. Retrieved June 3, 2017 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Indianapolis 500 1924". Ultimate Racing History. Archived from the original on 16 January 2012. Retrieved 15 January 2012.
- Blazier, John E.; Rollings, Tom (1994). Forgotten Heroes of the Speedways: The Riding Mechanics.
- The Talk of Gasoline Alley - 1070-AM WIBC, May 14, 2004
|Grand Prix Race|
1923 Italian Grand Prix
|1924 Grand Prix season
1924 French Grand Prix
1923 Indianapolis 500
|Indianapolis 500||Next race:|
1925 Indianapolis 500
|1923 Indianapolis 500
|1924 Indianapolis 500
Lora L. Corum and Joe Boyer
|1925 Indianapolis 500|
(1922 Indianapolis 500)
| Record for the fastest average speed
(1925 Indianapolis 500)