1924 in India
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|See also:||List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1924 in India.
- 12 January – Gopinath Saha shoots a man he erroneously thinks is a Police commissioner of Calcutta, Charles Augustus Tegart – he is arrested soon after.
- February – Mohandas Gandhi is released prematurely on medical grounds.
- 9 September – 11 September – 1924 Kohat riots.
- 4 December – The Gateway of India in Bombay, built to commemorate the visit of King George V and Queen Mary in December 1911, is opened by the Viceroy, the Earl of Reading.
- Reorganization of the Muslim League by Muhammad Ali Jinnah.
- Great Flood at Kerala – Great flood of 99
- Commencement of Vaikam Satyagraham (the first ever struggle against apartheid in the World) designed by T K Madhavan and Sree Narayana Guru. In Kerala, South India.
- 4 January – Sebastian Kappen, priest and theologian (died 1993)
- 27 January – Sabu Dastagir, actor (died 1963).
- 21 February – Krishna Prakash Bahadur, writer.
- 2 March – Gulshan Rai, film producer and distributor (died 2004).
- 03 June - M. Karunanidhi, former chief minister of Tamil nadu, poet, orator (died 07 August 2018 in Chennai Tamil nadu , India ).
- 6 June – S. R. Bommai, politician and Chief Minister of Karnataka (died 2007).
- 14 December – Raj Kapoor, actor and director (died 1988).
- 24 December – Narayan Desai, pacifist and writer.
- 25 December -Lt Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Poet ,reporter, Former PM of India
- 24 December – Nissim Ezekiel, poet, playwright and art critic (died 2004).
- 24 December – Mohammed Rafi, playback singer (died 1980).
- Kamala Markandaya, novelist and journalist (died 2004).
- P. K. Venugopalan Nambiar, agricultural scientist (died 1996).
- Harishankar Parsai (22 August 1924 – 10 August 1995) was a Hindi writer. He was a noted satirist and humorist of modern Hindi literature and is known for his simple and direct style. He wrote vyangya (hindi satire) articles.