1924 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1924 in India.
- 12 January - Gopinath Saha shoots a man he erroneously thinks is a Police commissioner of Calcutta, Charles Augustus Tegart - he is arrested soon after.
- February - Mohandas Gandhi is released prematurely on medical grounds.
- 9 September - 11 September - 1924 Kohat riots.
- 4 December - The Gateway of India in Bombay, built to commemorate the visit of King George V and Queen Mary in December 1911, is opened by the Viceroy, the Earl of Reading.
- Reorganization of the Muslim League by Muhammad Ali Jinnah.
- Great Flood at Kerala - Great flood of 99
- Commencement of Vaikam Satyagraham (the first ever struggle against apartheid in the World) designed by T K Madhavan and Sree Narayana Guru. In Kerala, South India.
- 27 January - Sabu Dastagir, actor (died 1963).
- 21 February - Krishna Prakash Bahadur, writer.
- 2 March - Gulshan Rai, film producer and distributor (died 2004).
- 6 June - S. R. Bommai, politician and Chief Minister of Karnataka (died 2007).
- 14 December - Raj Kapoor, actor and director (died 1988).
- 24 December - Narayan Desai, pacifist and writer.
- 24 December - Nissim Ezekiel, poet, playwright and art critic (died 2004).
- 24 December - Mohammed Rafi, playback singer (died 1980).
- Kamala Markandaya, novelist and journalist (died 2004).
- P. K. Venugopalan Nambiar, agricultural scientist (died 1996).