1924 in country music
This is a list of notable events in country music that took place in the year 1924.
- First broadcast of WLS Barn Dance in Chicago, led by the "Solemn Old Judge" George D. Hay.
- Beginning of the "Old Times Tunes" series on Okeh Records.
- Beginning of the "Special Records for Southern States" series on Vocalion Records.
- Vernon Dalhart records "The Prisoner's Song" and "Wreck of the Old 97."
Top hits of the year
- "Arkansas Traveler" - Fiddlin' John Carson with the Virginia Reelers
- "Fare You Well, Old Joe Clark" - Fiddlin' John Carson
- "John Henry Blues" - Fiddlin' John Carson
- "Run, Nigger, Run" - Fiddlin' John Carson
- "Little Rosewood Casket" - Ernest Thompson
- "Old Joe Clark" - Fiddlin' Powers and Family
- "The Prisoner's Song" - Vernon Dalhart
- "Rock All Our Babies To Sleep - Riley Puckett
- "Whistling the Blues Away" - Wendell Hall and Carson Robison
- "Wreck of the Old 97" - Vernon Dalhart
- "You Will Never Miss Your Mother Until She is Gone" - Fiddlin' John Carson
- January 6 - Earl Scruggs, early bluegrass pioneer who, with Lester Flatt, formed the Foggy Mountain Boys (died 2012).
- June 20 - Chet Atkins, session musician and record producer, primarily with RCA Records (died 2001).
- June 28 - George Morgan, pop-styled singer of the 1940s and 1950s; Grand Ole Opry stalwart and father of 1990s star Lorrie Morgan (died 1975).
- July 22 - Margaret Whiting, female country and pop vocalist of the 1940s and early 1950s; first female vocalist to top the Billboard country charts (1949's "Slippin' Around," as part of a duet with Jimmy Wakely). (died 2011)
- September 19 - Don Harron, Canadian comedian and playwright best known to country audiences as "Charlie Farquharson" on television's Hee Haw (died 2015).
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- Kingsbury, Paul, "Vinyl Hayride: Country Music Album Covers 1947-1989," Country Music Foundation, 2003 (ISBN 0-8118-3572-3)
- Millard, Bob, "Country Music: 70 Years of America's Favorite Music," HarperCollins, New York, 1993 (ISBN 0-06-273244-7)
- Whitburn, Joel. "Top Country Songs 1944-2005 - 6th Edition." 2005.