1925 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- September 17 – Frida Kahlo is seriously and permanently injured when a bus in which she is riding collides with a trolleycar in Mexico City; she takes up painting while immobilized following the accident.
- Josef Albers marries Anni Fleischmann.
- Stanley Spencer marries Hilda Carline.
- In Paris, the Ministry of Commerce and Industry sponsors the International Exposition of Modern Industrial and Decorative Arts from April through October; the event gives a name to the Art Deco style. Le Corbusier's Pavillon d'Esprit Nouveau is so disliked by the organizers that they erect a six-meter-high fence around it.
- First Surrealist exhibition at the Galerie Pierre, Paris.
- The Bauhaus moves from Weimar to Dessau.
- Alfred Stieglitz begins taking his Equivalents series of abstract cloud photographs.
- Franz Roh's Nach Expressionismus – Magischer Realismus: Probleme der neuesten europäischen Malerei ("After Expressionism – Magical Realism: Problems of the newest European painting") is published, introducing the term magic realism into cultural criticism.
- George Adomeit – Down to the Harbor
- Pierre Bonnard – Nude at the Toilet Table
- Henry Clive – Sultana (approximate year)
- Lovis Corinth – Ecce homo
- Otto Dix – Portrait of the Dancer Anita Berber
- Arthur Dove – The Critic
- Lyonel Feininger – Barfüßerkirche in Erfurt I (Staatsgalerie Stuttgart)
- Rudolf Frentz – Horsewoman
- George Grosz – Portrait of the Writer Max Herrmann-Neisse
- Edward Hopper – The House by the Railroad
- Wassily Kandinsky – Yellow-Red-Blue
- Tamara de Lempicka – Autoportrait (Tamara in a Green Bugatti)
- Joan Miró – Head of a Catalan Peasant (sequence completed)
- Hilda Rix Nicholas – Les fleurs dédaignées
- Pablo Picasso – The Three Dancers
- Veno Pilon – Russian Woman
- Georg Schrimpf – Martha Reading a Letter
- Charles Sheeler – Still Life
- Alexej von Jawlensky – Abstract Head: Desire
- Xu Beihong – Jiang Biwei by a table
- Wäinö Aaltonen – Statue of Paavo Nurmi
- Josep Clarà – Serenity
- Jacob Epstein – Rima (memorial to W. H. Hudson in Hyde Park, London)
- Emmanuel Frémiet – Joan of Arc (copy in Portland, Oregon)
- Daniel Chester French – Statue of Abraham Lincoln (Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C.)
- Alberto Giacometti – Torso
- Charles Sargeant Jagger – Royal Artillery Memorial
- Paul Manship – The Flight of Europa
- Frederick Roth – Statue of Balto, Central Park
- Francis Derwent Wood – Machine Gun Corps Memorial
- 1 January
- 17 January – Duane Hanson, American sculptor (d. 1996).
- 23 January – James Bingham, Northern Irish painter (d. 2009).
- 12 February – Joan Mitchell, American Abstract Expressionist painter (d. 1992).
- 22 February – Edward Gorey, American illustrator (d. 2000).
- 10 March – Ed van der Elsken, Dutch photographer (d. 1990).
- 13 March – Jane Bown, English portrait photographer (d. 2014).
- 29 March – Sava Stojkov, Serbian painter (d. 2014).
- 1 April – Bryan Robertson, English curator (d. 2002).
- 4 April – Emmett Williams, American poet and Fluxus artist (d. 2007).
- 29 April – Iwao Takamoto, Japanese American animator, television producer and film director (d. 2007).
- 16 May – Hannes Hegen, German cartoonist and illustrator (d. 2014).
- 22 May – Jean Tinguely, Swiss painter and sculptor (d. 1991).
- 23 July – Burt Glinn, American photographer (d. 2008).
- 26 August – Robert Colescott, American artist (d. 2009).
- 22 October – Robert Rauschenberg, American artist (d. 2008).
- 28 October – Ian Hamilton Finlay, Scottish poet, writer, artist and gardener (d. 2006).
- 18 December – John Szarkowski, American photographer, curator, historian and critic (d. 2007).
- date unknown – Panayiotis Tetsis, Greek painter.
- January 8 – George Bellows, American realist painter (b. 1882)
- March 1 – Ramon Pichot, Catalan impressionist painter, mentor of Salvador Dalí (b. 1871)
- March 8 – Juliette Wytsman, Belgian painter (b. 1866)
- April 14 – John Singer Sargent, expatriate American portrait painter (b. 1856)
- April 25 – John Quinton Pringle, Scottish painter (b. 1864)
- May 2 – Jan Štursa, sculptor (b. 1880)
- July 17 – Lovis Corinth, painter and printmaker (b. 1858)
- July 28 – Léon Augustin Lhermitte, genre painter (b. 1844)
- August 21 – Karl Brendel, schizophrenic outsider artist (b. 1871)
- September 17 – Carl Eytel, German American artist (b. 1862)
- September 25 – Charles Cottet, post-impressionist painter (b. 1863)
- November 27 – Roger de La Fresnaye, painter (b. 1885)
- December 18 – Sir Hamo Thornycroft, sculptor (b. 1850)
- December 29 – Félix Vallotton, painter and graphic artist (b. 1865)
- date unknown – Vladislav Titelbah, Serbian painter (b. 1847).