1926 New Zealand rugby league season
The 1926 New Zealand rugby league season was the 19th season of rugby league that had been played in New Zealand.
New Zealand toured Great Britain, losing the series 0-3 against the Lions and also losing a Test match against Wales. The 1926–27 New Zealand tour of Britain involved several skirmishes within the Kiwi party. Problems began on the boat journey over, with disputes developing about aspects of the trip and a rift developed between tour manager and coach, Australian Ernest Mair, and seven forwards. The disputes continued once the party arrived in Britain, with one of the rebels being involved in a street fight with another member of the tour party after the opening match. In mid-November, following further disturbances which almost led to the tour party being evicted from their Harrogate hotel, it was decided that coach Mair would withdraw from team selection and match tactics for a period of four weeks. The tour, and the costly disputes, continued with the rebels eventually setting sail for home a week earlier than their colleagues. Three months later all seven players were banned for life by the New Zealand authorities. New Zealand did not visit Europe again until 1939. The touring party included; Charles Gregory, Lou Brown, Ben Davidson, Hec Brisbane, Frank Delgrosso, Wally Desmond, Wilson Hall, Frank Henry, Alphonsus Carroll, Ernie Herring, Len Mason, Bert Avery (c), Neil Mouat, Hector Cole, Jack Kirwan, Craddock Dufty, Bill Devine, Lou Petersen, Arthur Singe, Jim Sanders, Harry Thomas, Jim Parkes, George Gardiner and Joe Menzies.
Northern Union Cup
- Baker, Andrew (20 August 1995). "100 years of rugby league: From the great divide to the Super era". Independent, The. London: independent.co.uk. Retrieved 25 September 2009.
- Coffey, John and Bernie Wood Auckland, 100 years of rugby league, 1909-2009, 2009. ISBN 978-1-86969-366-4.
- Coffey, John. Canterbury XIII, Christchurch, 1987.
- Herbert AVERY, Herbert (1919 - 27)[permanent dead link] nzleague.co.nz
- Lion Red Rugby League Annual 1990 New Zealand Rugby League, 1990. p.72