1926 in rail transport
|Years in rail transport|
This article lists events related to rail transport that occurred in 1926.
- May 1 - Burlington Refrigerator Express (BREX) is formed as a joint venture between the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) and the Fruit Growers Express (FGE).
- May 3 - U.K. General Strike commences, continuing to affect railways until May 12.
- May 8 - A. Philip Randolph organizes the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters, considered a major labor as well as civil rights milestone.
- May 20 - The United States Railway Labor Act becomes law.
- July 6 - First electric railway in the Soviet Union opened, connecting Baku, Azerbaijan, with its oil workers’ suburban settlements.
- July 9 - The first use of a radiotelephone on a train, on the New York Central Railroad.
- July 23 - Law enacted to nationalize rail transport in Belgium fully as Société Nationale des Chemins de fer Belges/Nationale Maatschappij der Belgische Spoorwegen.
- August - The Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad (the "Milwaukee Road") introduces the Arrow passenger train between Chicago, Illinois and Omaha, Nebraska.
- September 12 - Chemin de Fer du Nord introduces Flèche d’Or all-first-class Pullman boat train service between Paris and Calais, France.
- December 20 – Opening of first section of underground railway in Australia, the City Circle between Central and St. James railway stations in Sydney (John Bradfield (engineer)).
Unknown date events
- Atlantic Coast Line Railroad gains control of the Atlanta, Birmingham and Coast Railroad.
- American Car and Foundry acquires J. G. Brill and Company.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2011)
- October 20 - Eugene V. Debs, American labor leader, founding member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen, founder of the American Railway Union, arrested during the Pullman strike in Chicago, Illinois (born 1855).
- "History of the City of Baku. Part IV". Window to Baku. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
- Mir-Babayev, Mir-Yusif (Summer 2003). "Azerbaijan's Oil History – Brief oil chronology since 1920, Part 2". Azerbaijan International. 11.2: 56–63. Archived from the original on 2 February 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
- Ferneyhough, Frank (1975). The History of Railways in Britain. Reading: Osprey. ISBN 0-85045-060-8.