1927 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- May – Stanley Spencer moves to Burghclere (England) to work on the Sandham Memorial Chapel.
- May 16 – A pair of oval rooms built at the Musée de l'Orangerie in Paris as a permanent home for eight of Monet's water lily paintings is opened by the Government of France.
- July 24 – Unveiling of Menin Gate Memorial to the Missing at Ypres, Belgium, designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.
- September 29 – Unveiling of 107th Infantry Memorial in Central Park, New York City, designed by Karl Illava, a former sergeant in the regiment.
- October 4 – Gutzon Borglum begins work on Mount Rushmore National Memorial in the United States.
- November – Ferens Art Gallery in Kingston upon Hull, England, opens.
- Clarice Cliff introduces her 'Bizarre' pottery decoration.
- Aristide Colotte opens his studio in Nancy, France, where he produces glasswork and carved crystal statues.
- February – Stanley Spencer has his first solo exhibition, at the Goupil Gallery in London.
- April–May – Ben and Winifred Nicholson and Christopher Wood exhibit at the Beaux Arts Gallery in London.
- Alice Prin ("Kiki de Montparnasse") has an exhibition of her own paintings at the Galerie au Sacre du Printemps in Paris.
See also: Category:1927 sculptures
- Ansel Adams – Parmelian Prints of the High Sierras (photographic portfolio)
- Ernst Barlach – Der schwebende Engel ("The Floating Angel", sculpture (original cast destroyed))
- Edwin Blashfield – Spring Scattering Stars
- Salvador Dalí – Apparatus and Hand
- Max Ernst
- George Grosz – Self-Portrait, Warning
- Edward Hopper – Automat
- Gaston Lachaise – Floating Figure
- Fernand Léger – Nude on a Red Background
- Will Longstaff – Menin Gate at Midnight
- L. S. Lowry
- Coming Out of School
- Oldfield Road Dwellings, Salford
- Peel Park, Salford
- A View from the Bridge
- René Magritte
- The Enchanted Pose
- The Menaced Assassin
- The Tiredness of Life
- Henri Matisse – Reclining Nude, Back
- Anne Marie Carl-Nielsen – Equestrian Statue of King Christian IX of Denmark (Christiansborg Palace, Copenhagen)
- Dod Procter – Morning
- Lasar Segall – Portrait of Mário de Andrade
- Stanley Spencer – The Resurrection, Cookham
- Lajos Tihanyi – Portrait of Tristan Tzara (Hungarian National Gallery)
- Alexander Weygers – Mourning (sculpture)
- Rex Whistler – The Expedition in Pursuit of Rare Meats (mural, Tate Gallery restaurant, London)
January to June
- January 1 – Jean-Paul Mousseau, Canadian artist (d.1991).
- March 13 – Robert Denning, American interior designer (d.2005)
- March 19 – Gisèle Lestrange, French graphic artist (d.1991)
- April 6 – Joash Woodrow, English artist (d.2006)
- April 16 – John Chamberlain, sculptor
- May 5 – Eva Fuka, photographer
- June 29 – Dick Martin, illustrator (d. 1990)
July to December
- July 14 – Mike Esposito, comic book artist
- July 24 – Robert Rosenblum, American Art Historian (d.2006).
- August 23 – Allan Kaprow, American painter, assemblagist and art theorist (d.2006)
- September 22 – Norbert Lynton, British art historian and Professor of the History of Art (d.2007)
- October 3 – Kenojuak Ashevak, Inuit artist
- October 4 – Wolf Kahn, painter
- October 29
- November 2 – Steve Ditko, comic book artist
- November 23 – Guy Davenport, American writer, translator, illustrator, painter and teacher (d.2005)
- December 24 – John Glashan, Scottish cartoonist, illustrator and playwright (d.1999)
- January 1 – Isabelle de Steiger, painter, theosophist, occultist and writer (b. 1836)
- January 15 – Harald Giersing, painter (b. 1881)
- February 28 – Sir Luke Fildes, painter and illustrator (b. 1843)
- March 23 – Paul César Helleu, portrait painter (b. 1859)
- May 10 – Andrea Gram, painter (b. 1853)
- May 11 – Juan Gris, painter (b. 1887)
- May 28 – Boris Kustodiev, painter and stage designer (b. 1878)
- June 26 – Armand Guillaumin, impressionist painter and lithographer (b. 1841)
- June 28 – Otto Bache, painter of historical subjects (b. 1839)
- July 10 – Louise Abbéma, Impressionist painter (b. 1858)
- August 4 – Eugène Atget, photographer (b. 1857)
- August 18 – Sascha Schneider, painter and sculptor (b. 1870)
- September 19 – Michael Ancher, painter (b. 1849)
- October 7 – Paul Sérusier, abstract painter (b. 1864)
- November 21 – Laurits Tuxen, painter (b. 1853)
- November 25 – József Rippl-Rónai, painter (b. 1861)
- date unknown