1928 Detroit Titans football team
|1928 Detroit Titans football|
Co-national champion (Davis)
|Head coach||Gus Dorais (4th season)|
|Home stadium||Dinan Field|
The 1928 Detroit Titans football team represented the University of Detroit in the 1928 college football season. Detroit shut out seven of its nine opponents, outscored opponents by a combined total of 267 to 27, and finished with a perfect 9–0 record in their fourth year under head coach and College Football Hall of Fame inductee, Gus Dorais. The team has been recognized as a co-national champion of 1928 by Parke H. Davis. Significant games included victories over Tulsa (19–14), Louisville (46–0), Michigan State (39–0), and Fordham (19–0).
The team was led by halfback Lloyd Brazil who was selected by Grantland Rice as the first-team utility back on the 1928 College Football All-America Team. During the 1928 season, Brazil set a new NCAA major college record with 997 passing yards. In 1929, he led the NCAA major colleges with 1,117 rushing yards and also led in total offense.
|September 29||DePaul||Dinan Field • Detroit, MI||W 39–0|
|October 6||at Tulsa||Tulsa, OK||W 19–14|
|October 13||Louisville||Dinan Field • Detroit, MI||W 46–0|
|October 20||Loyola (LA)||Dinan Field • Detroit, MI||W 27–0|
|October 27||at Dayton||Dayton, OH||W 7–0|
|November 3||Saint Louis||Dinan Field • Detroit, MI||W 38–0|
|November 10||Michigan State||Dinan Field • Detroit, MI||W 39–0|
|November 17||at Fordham||Polo Grounds • New York, NY||W 7–0|
|December 1||Georgetown||Dinan Field • Detroit, MI||W 33–13||30,000|
|All times are in Eastern Time.|
On November 17, 1928, the Titans defeated Fordham, 19-0, before a small crowd at the Polo Grounds in New York City. Tom Connell scored three touchdowns and kicked an extra point, accounting for all 19 Detroit points.
On December 1, 1928, the Titans defeated Georgetown, 33-13, before a record crowd of 30,000 at Dinan Field in Detroit. The victor capped an undefeated season. The Detroit players carried Lloyd Brazil and Tom Connell off the field in celebration of the victory.
|Lloyd Brazil||left halfback||Flint, Michigan|
|Tom Connell||right halfback||Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin|
|Billy Storen||reserve halfback|
- National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) (2015). "National Poll Rankings" (PDF). NCAA Division I Football Records. NCAA. p. 108. Retrieved January 4, 2016.
- "1928 Detroit Mercy Titans Schedule and Results". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved November 23, 2015.
- "Detroit Yearly Results (1925-1929)". College Football Data Warehouse. David DeLassus. Retrieved November 23, 2015.
- Associated Press, "Six From East On Rice's Team," Milwaukee Sentinel, p. S1 (December 14, 1928). Retrieved July 22, 2010.
- "Progression of Player Game-Season-Career Statistical Leaders from the Pre-1937 era of College Football" (PDF). From the book: Stars of an Earlier Autumn Tex Noel/1st-N-Goal ©2007 PressBoxPublications.
- W. W. Edgar (September 30, 1928). "Aerial Plays and Runs Enable Detroit University To Defeat DePaul, 39 to 0: Titans Easily Cut Weak Chicago Line". Detroit Free Press. p. 15.
- "University of Detroit Defeats Tulsa In Sweltering Heat By 19 to 14 Score: Doraismen Win In Last Period". Detroit Free Press. October 7, 1928. p. 18.
- W. W. Edgar (October 14, 1928). "Second Period Onslaught Enables Titans To Crush Louisville, 46 to 0: Attack Shatters Southerners' Line". Detroit Free Press. p. 22.
- W. W. Edgar (October 21, 1928). "Varied Attack of University of Detroit Brings Defeat To Loyola, 27 to 0: Titans' Offense Surprises Wolves". Detroit Free Press. p. 39.
- W. W. Edgar (October 28, 1928). "Touchdown In First Period Enables Titans To Defeat Dayton Team, 7 to 0: Connell Gives Dorais Eleven Single Count". Detroit Free Press. p. 19.
- W. W. Edgar (November 4, 1928). "University of Detroit Starts Late But Beats St. Louis Eleven, 38 to 0: Dorais Team Wins in Form Reversal". Detroit Free Press. p. 19.
- W. W. Edgar (November 11, 1928). "Three Long Runs Help University of Detroit To Vanquish Michigan State, 39-0: Spartans Helpless Before Dorais Men". Detroit Free Press. p. 19.
- W. W. Edgar (November 18, 1928). "Connell Scores Three Touchdowns, As Detroit Beats Fordham Team, 19-0: Varied Attack of Titan Team Dazzles Enemy (part 1)". Detroit Free Press. p. 21.
- W. W. Edgar (November 18, 1928). "Connell Scores Three Touchdowns, As Detroit Beats Fordham Team, 19-0: Varied Attack of Titan Team Dazzles Enemy (part 2)". Detroit Free Press. p. 26.
- "Fordham Loses to the University of Detroit Eleven by 19-0 at Polo Grounds". The New York Times. November 18, 1928.
- W. W. Edgar (December 2, 1928). "U. of D. Defeats Georgetown in Season Finale, 33 to 13: Third Period Rush by Titans Crushes Hilltopper Eleven". Detroit Free Press. p. 18.