1928 SMU Mustangs football team
|1928 SMU Mustangs football|
|1928 record||6–3–1 (2–2–1 SWC)|
|Head coach||Ray Morrison (9th season)|
|Home stadium||Ownby Stadium|
|1928 Southwest Conference football standings|
Their year began with two easy victories against the outmatched Denton(Texas) Normal Teachers' College (known in later years as the University of North Texas) and Howard Payne.
These games led into what could be seen as the highlight of the year, a contest against Army, already a national college football juggernaut. Although they could not win, they came within a point of victory against the powerhouse.
SMU survived a scare returning to Texas, defeating Simmons College (now Hardin-Simmons) by only 6-0 in Wichita Falls, although SMU did not play its regular players, who were still feeling fatigue returning from the Army game at West Point.
The Mustangs began their conference schedule against Rice with another convincing victory, and then added another victory against non-conference foe Trinity. However, their momentum was shattered with a difficult loss to the University of Texas, the eventual conference champions.
That Texas game would prove to be pivotal for the Mustangs in the race for the conference crown, as SMU ended the season with a tie against A&M and then two consecutive conference losses, finishing with a homecoming game  loss against TCU where the entire coaching staff was out with the flu. 
|September 22||North Texas State Teachers*||Ownby Stadium • Dallas, TX||W 60–6|
|September 29||Howard Payne*||Ownby Stadium • Dallas, TX||W 31–0|
|October 6||at Army*||Michie Stadium • West Point, NY||L 13–14|
|October 13||vs. Simmons (TX)*||Spudder Park • Wichita Falls, TX||W 6–0|
|October 20||Rice||Fair Park Stadium • Dallas, TX (Rivalry)||W 53–13|
|October 27||Trinity (TX)*||Ownby Stadium • Dallas, TX||W 60–7|
|November 3||at Texas||War Memorial Stadium • Austin, TX||W 6–2|
|November 10||Texas A&M||Ownby Stadium • Dallas, TX||T 19–19|
|November 17||at Baylor||Cotton Palace • Waco, TX||L 0–2|
|November 24||TCU||Ownby Stadium • Dallas, TX (Rivalry)||L 6–15|
- "SMU vs. TCU Homecoming Game Program Cover (1928)". Southern Methodist University Campus Memories. Central University Libraries, Southern Methodist University. November 29, 1928. Retrieved January 8, 2017.
- SMU Rotunda - 1929. Southern Methodist University. 1929. p. 292.
- The Rotunda - 1928. Southern Methodist University. 1928. p. 285. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- "Simmons Tangles With S.M.U. Today". The Simmons Brand. October 13, 1928. p. 1. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
- "Lone Touchdown Saves Mustangs From Tie WIth Fighting Cowboys". The Simmons Brand. October 20, 1928. p. 3. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
- "Simmons Holds". Breckenridge American. October 14, 1928. p. 2. Retrieved January 11, 2017.