1930 World Series
|Radio announcers:||NBC: Graham McNamee
CBS: Ted Husing
|Umpires:||George Moriarty (AL), Cy Rigler (NL), Harry Geisel (AL), Beans Reardon (NL)|
|Hall of Famers:||Athletics: Connie Mack (mgr.), Mickey Cochrane, Jimmie Foxx, Lefty Grove, Al Simmons.
Cardinals: Jim Bottomley, Dizzy Dean (dnp), Frankie Frisch, Burleigh Grimes, Chick Hafey, Jesse Haines.
The 1930 World Series featured the defending champions Philadelphia Athletics and the St. Louis Cardinals. The Athelics defeated the Cardinals in six games, 4–2. Philly's pitching ace Lefty Grove, and George Earnshaw, No. 2 man in Mr. Mack's rotation, won two games apiece. Earnshaw also pitched seven scoreless innings as Game 5 starter, but ended up with a no-decision as Grove relieved him in the eighth and took the win on Jimmie Foxx's two-run homer in the top of the ninth for the game's only scoring.
The Cardinals led the National League in runs scored and averaged six runs per game in the regular season, but could manage only two runs per game in this World Series.
This was the Athletics' fifth World Series championship win (following 1910, 1911, 1913 and 1929), and their last in Philadelphia before moving to Kansas City in 1955 and Oakland in 1968, where they have won four World Series titles (1972-1974 and 1989). Their win this year tied them with the Boston Red Sox for most World Series wins as of that point (five) until 1937, when the New York Yankees surged ahead of both in World Series wins and went on to amass 27 World Series championships as of 2014.
|1||October 1||St. Louis Cardinals – 2, Philadelphia Athletics – 5||Shibe Park||1:48||32,295|
|2||October 2||St. Louis Cardinals – 1, Philadelphia Athletics – 6||Shibe Park||1:47||32,295|
|3||October 4||Philadelphia Athletics – 0, St. Louis Cardinals – 5||Sportsman's Park (III)||1:55||36,944|
|4||October 5||Philadelphia Athletics – 1, St. Louis Cardinals – 3||Sportsman's Park (III)||1:41||39,946|
|5||October 6||Philadelphia Athletics – 2, St. Louis Cardinals – 0||Sportsman's Park (III)||1:58||38,844|
|6||October 8||St. Louis Cardinals – 1, Philadelphia Athletics – 7||Shibe Park||1:46||32,295|
|WP: Lefty Grove (1–0) LP: Burleigh Grimes (0–1)
PHA: Al Simmons (1), Mickey Cochrane (1)
|WP: George Earnshaw (1–0) LP: Flint Rhem (0–1)
STL: George Watkins (1)
PHA: Mickey Cochrane (2)
|WP: Bill Hallahan (1–0) LP: Rube Walberg (0–1)
STL: Taylor Douthit (1)
|WP: Jesse Haines (1–0) LP: Lefty Grove (1–1)|
|WP: Lefty Grove (2–1) LP: Burleigh Grimes (0–2)
PHA: Jimmie Foxx (1)
George Earnshaw dueled Burleigh Grimes 0–0 through seven innings before Lefty Grove took over for Earnshaw in the eighth. In the top of the ninth, Grimes walked Mickey Cochrane and then coughed up a home run ball to Jimmie Foxx. it must have been a patented Foxx blast, for Grimes said later, "he hit it so hard I couldn't feel sorry for myself."
|WP: George Earnshaw (2–0) LP: Bill Hallahan (1–1)
PHA: Al Simmons (2), Jimmy Dykes (1)
Composite line score
|St. Louis Cardinals||0||1||3||3||1||0||2||1||1||12||38||5|
|Total attendance: 212,619 Average attendance: 35,437
Winning player's share: $5,038 Losing player's share: $3,537
- "1930 World Series Game 1 – St. Louis Cardinals vs. Philadelphia Athletics". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- "1930 World Series Game 2 – St. Louis Cardinals vs. Philadelphia Athletics". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- "1930 World Series Game 3 – Philadelphia Athletics vs. St. Louis Cardinals". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- "1930 World Series Game 4 – Philadelphia Athletics vs. St. Louis Cardinals". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- "1930 World Series Game 5 – Philadelphia Athletics vs. St. Louis Cardinals". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- "1930 World Series Game 6 – St. Louis Cardinals vs. Philadelphia Athletics". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- Cohen, Richard M.; Neft, David S. (1990). The World Series: Complete Play-By-Play of Every Game, 1903–1989. New York: St. Martin's Press. pp. 132–136. ISBN 0-312-03960-3.
- Reichler, Joseph (1982). The Baseball Encyclopedia (5th ed.). Macmillan Publishing. p. 2138. ISBN 0-02-579010-2.
- 1930 World Series at WorldSeries.com (MLB.com)
- 1930 World Series at Baseball Almanac
- 1930 World Series at Baseball-Reference.com
- The 1930 Post-Season Games (box scores and play-by-play) at Retrosheet
- History of the World Series - 1930 at The SportingNews. Archived from the original on 2008.