1930 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- June–July – Christopher Wood paints in Brittany.
- 29 November – Première of the Surrealist film L'Age d'Or by Luis Buñuel (co-written with Salvador Dalí) at Studio 28 in Paris.
- Theo van Doesburg produces a "Manifesto of Concrete art".
- Vanessa Bell and Duncan Grant complete the decoration of the dining room for Dorothy Wellesley at Penns-in-the-Rocks, Withyham, England.
- Malvina Hoffman begins sculpting life-size figures for the Field Museum's Hall of Man.
- Great Bardfield Artists community established in England.
- Bernard Berenson publishes The Italian Painters of the Renaissance.
- Milt Gross publishes his wordless novel He Done Her Wrong in the United States.
- Spanish postage stamps depict Goya's La maja desnuda.
- Approximate date – Gertrud Arndt begins a series of photographic self-portraits at the Bauhaus.
See also: Category:1930 sculptures
- Edward Bawden and Eric Ravilious – Mural in refectory of Morley College, London (begun 1928; destroyed in The Blitz 1940)
- Pierre Bonnard – Pots
- Patrick Henry Bruce – Peinture (Museum of Modern Art, New York)
- Edward Burra – The Snack Bar
- John Steuart Curry – Hogs Killing a Snake
- Theo van Doesburg – Arithmetic Composition
- M. C. Escher
- Thomas Cooper Gotch – The Exile: Heavy Is The Price I Paid For Love
- Edward Hopper – Early Sunday Morning
- Augustus John – Portrait of Tallulah Bankhead
- Rosa Klein (André Rogi) – Bonnard's Palette
- Abel Lafleur – Victory (trophy)
- Fernand Léger – Mona Lisa with Keys
- L. S. Lowry – Coming from the Mill
- Henri Matisse – The Back Series (bas-reliefs)
- Alice Neel – Ethel Ashton (nude portrait)
- Charles Sheeler – American Landscape
- T. F. Šimon – View in Old Prague (woodcut)
- Grace Cossington Smith – The Bridge in Curve
- Christopher Wood
- Anemones in a Cornish Window
- Zebra and Parachute
- Grant Wood – American Gothic
- W. L. Wyllie – Panorama of the Battle of Trafalgar (Royal Naval Museum, Portsmouth)
- Xu Beihong – A Portrait of Sun Duoci
January to June
- 3 February – Gillian Ayres, painter
- 13 February – Ernst Fuchs, artist
- 18 February – Gahan Wilson, cartoonist
- 21 February – Enrique Tabara, painter
- 7 March – Antony Armstrong-Jones, photographer (d.2017)
- 11 March – David Gentleman, graphic designer
- 1 April – John Houston, painter
- 12 April – Manuel Neri, sculptor, painter and printmaker
- 14 May – James Beck, American art historian (d.2007)
- 15 May – Jasper Johns, painter, sculptor and printmaker
- 22 May – Marisol Escobar, sculptor and printmaker (d.2016)
- 23 May
- 30 May – Robert Ryman, painter
- 16 June – Allan D'Arcangelo, painter and graphic artist (d.1998)
- 20 June – Magdalena Abakanowicz, Polish sculptor (d.2017)
- 24 June – Pierre Restany, French art critic and cultural philosopher (d.2003)
July to December
- 28 September – Nikolai Pozdneev, Russian painter (d. 1978).
- 8 October – Faith Ringgold, African American painter and fabric artist
- 29 October – Niki de Saint Phalle, French sculptor, painter, and film maker (d.2002)
- 7 November – Robert Natkin, American painter
- 13 November – Benny Andrews, American painter and academic (d. 2006)
- 14 November – Elisabeth Frink, English sculptor (d.1993)
- 31 December – Luis Marsans, painter
- date unknown – Susan Weil, painter
- March 3 – W. W. Quatremain, English landscape painter (b. 1857)
- March 19 – Andreas Walser, Swiss painter (b. 1908)
- April 17 – Aleksandr Golovin, Russian stage designer (b. 1863)
- April 30 – John Peter Russell, Australian Impressionist painter (b. 1858)
- May 10 – Julio Romero de Torres, Spanish painter (b. 1874)
- May 28 – George Washington Lambert, Australian portrait painter and war artist (b. 1873)
- June 3 – Alexander Bogomazov, Ukrainian painter, known artist and modern art theoretician of Russian avant-garde (b. 1880)
- June 5 – Jules Pascin, Bulgarian-born painter and draftsman (b. 1885)
- July 22 – Wacław Szymanowski, Polish sculptor and painter (b. 1859)
- August 21 – Christopher Wood, English painter (b. 1901) (suicide)
- August 28 – Stanisław Bergman, Polish painter (b. 1862)
- September 6 – Sir James Guthrie, Scottish painter (b. 1859)
- September 24 – Otto Mueller, German Expressionist painter (b. 1874)
- September 25 – Abram Arkhipov, Russian painter (b. 1862).
- September 29 – Ilya Yefimovich Repin, Russian painter (b. 1844)
- December 9 – Laura Muntz Lyall, Canadian Impressionist painter (b. 1860)
- December 17 – Nikolay Kasatkin, Russian painter (b. 1859)
- December 28 – Antonio Mancini, Italian painter (b. 1852)
- date unknown - Peter Moog, outsider artist (b. 1871)