1931 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1931 in India.
- Emperor of India – George V
- Viceroy of India – The Lord Irwin
- Viceroy of India – The Earl of Willingdon (from 18 April)
- 25 January – Mohandas Gandhi released again.
- 10 February – New Delhi becomes the capital of India.
- 27 February – Chandrasekhar Azad martyrdom in an encounter with the British in Allahabad.
- 4 March – British viceroy of India and Mohandas Gandhi negotiate.
- 5 March – Gandhi Irwin Pact
- 23 March – Independent India leaders Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev are hanged by the British Government.
- October, November – Mohandas Gandhi visits England.
- 4 November – Inauguration of the Thiruvananthapuram Central Railway station by the Maharaja of Travancore Sree Chithira Thirunal
- 6 November – Indian spiritual leader Meher Baba arrives in America for the first time.
- 2nd round table conference.
- Chakra was adopted on centre of the flag by INC (Indian National Congress)
- 4 January – Nirupa Roy, actress (died 2004).
- 16 May – K. Natwar Singh, politician and Minister.
- 27 May – O. N. V. Kurup, poet.
- 27 August – Sri Chinmoy, spiritual teacher and philosopher (died 2007).
- 16 September – George Sudarshan, physicist, author and professor.
- 15 October – Abdul Kalam, eleventh President of India.(died2015)
- 21 October – Shammi Kapoor, actor (died 2011).
Full date unknown
- 23 March – Shivaram Rajguru, revolutionary, executed (born 1908).
- 23 March – Bhagat Singh, freedom fighter, executed (born 1907).
- 23 March – Sukhdev Thapar, revolutionary, executed (born 1907).
- 7 July – Dinesh Gupta, freedom fighter and revolutionary, executed (born 1911).
- Everyman's Dictionary of Dates; 6th ed. J. M. Dent, 1971; p. 263