1933 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- January 12 – George Grosz emigrates from Nazi Germany to the United States.
- February/March – Käthe Kollwitz is forced by the Nazi Party to resign from the faculty of the Academy of Arts.
- April – Closure of the Bauhaus.
- September/October – "Henri Cartier-Bresson and an Exhibition of Anti-Graphic Photography" staged at Julien Levy's gallery in New York City.
- September – Artists Union formed in the United States as the Emergency Work Bureau Artists Group.
- Black Mountain College founded by John Andrew Rice.
- The mural, Man at the Crossroads, by Diego Rivera, is removed from the Rockefeller Center in New York because it contains a portrait of Lenin. While he has been working on it, he has been joined in the United States by Frieda Kahlo who begins her painting My Dress Hangs There.
- Hans Bellmer produces his first Doll sculpture.
- Barbara Hepworth and John Skeaping are divorced; Hepworth is already in a relationship with Ben Nicholson.
- Paul Nash and other young British artists form the group Unit One to promote modernism in Britain.
- Kenneth Clark appointed Director of the National Gallery, London, at age 30, taking up his post in January 1934.
See also: Category:1933 sculptures
- Tarsila do Amaral – Operarios
- Jacob Epstein
- C. Paul Jennewein
- Frieda Kahlo
- André Kertész – Distortions (photographs)
- René Magritte – The Human Condition (first version)
- Hilda Rix Nicholas – The Summer House (approximate date)
- Pablo Picasso – Minotaur Kneeling over Sleeping Girl (etching)
- Diego Rivera – Man at the Crossroads (mural, original version for Rockefeller Center, New York, destroyed)
- Percy Shakespeare
- A Mulatto
- John Skeaping – Horse (sculpture in mahogany and pynkado, originally in Whipsnade Zoo; now in Tate Gallery)
January to June
- February 8 – Richard Allen (abstract artist) British minimalist Op, Pop, Geometric painter and printmaker (d. 1999).
- February 18 – Yoko Ono, Japanese-born sculptor, filmmaker, installation artist and musician.
- February 27
- 4 March – John W. Mills, English sculptor.
- April 1 – Dan Flavin, American minimalist artist (d. 1996).
- April 9 – René Burri, Swiss photographer (d. 2014)
- April 29 - Alison Knowles, Fluxus performance artist, sound artist, papermaker and printmaker
- 11 June – Harald Szeemann, Swiss curator and art historian (d. 2005).
- 12 June – Eddie Adams, American Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer (d. 2004).
July to December
- 8 July – Jeff Nuttall, English poet, publisher, actor, painter and sculptor (d. 2004).
- 18 July – Cécile Guillame, first woman to engrave French postal stamps (d. 2004).
- 21 July – Laila Pullinen, Finnish sculptor (d. 2015).
- 18 August – Michael Baxandall, Welsh art historian (d. 2008).
- August 29 – Sorel Etrog, Romanian-born Canadian sculptor, writer and philosopher (d. 2014)
- September 18 - Mark di Suvero, sculptor
- October 28 - Michael Noakes, portrait painter
- November 8 – Lothar Fischer, German sculptor (d. 2004).
- November 18
- November 29 – James Rosenquist, American painter and muralist.
- November 30 – Sam Gilliam, American painter.
- December 14 – Bapu, Indian film director, cartoonist and painter (d. 2014).
Full date of birth unknown
- John Stuart Ingle, watercolorist
- January 10 – Margaret MacDonald, designer (b. 1865)
- January 17 – Louis Comfort Tiffany, American stained glass artist (b. 1848)
- February 3 – Anne de Rochechouart de Mortemart, Duchesse d'Uzès, patron and sculptor (b. 1847)
- February 28 – Lilla Cabot Perry, Impressionist painter (b. 1848)
- March 10 – Émile André, architect and designer (b. 1871)
- April 16 – Harold Peto, architect and garden designer (b. 1854)
- May 6 – François Pompon, sculptor (b. 1856)
- May 25 – James E. Kelly, sculptor and illustrator (b. 1855)
- June 14 – Hans Prinzhorn, art historian
- August 5 – Charles Harold Davis, painter (b. 1856)
- August 8 – Adolf Loos, Modernist architect
- October 2 – Elizabeth Thompson, British painter (b. 1846)
- October 24 – Annie Swynnerton, English painter (b. 1844)
- October 26 – José Malhoa, painter
- October 29 – George Benjamin Luks, portrait painter
- November 12 – F. Holland Day, photographer (b. 1864)
- November 14 – Thomas Hayton Mawson, garden designer
- November 15 – Émile-Jacques Ruhlmann, furniture designer (b. 1879)
- November 19 – Louise Jopling, English painter (b. 1843)
- December 4 - W. G. R. Sprague, theatre designer (b. 1863)
- date unknown - Susan Isabel Dacre, English painter (b. 1844)