1934 in France
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|See also:||Other events of 1934|
History of France • Timeline • Years
Events from the year 1934 in France.
- President: Albert Lebrun
- President of the Council of Ministers:
- 6 February - an anti-parliamentarist demonstration organised in Paris by far-right leagues, finished in a riot and led to a political crisis.
- 9 February - Gaston Doumergue forms a new government.
- 9 October - King Alexander of Yugoslavia and French foreign minister, Louis Barthou, are assassinated during the king's state visit in Marseilles.
- 2 December - first public performance by the Quintette du Hot Club de France at the Ecole Normale de Musique, 78 rue Cardinet in Paris, as "Un orchestre d'un genre nouveau de Jazz Hot", led by Django Reinhardt.
- 6 April - The French Rugby League was formed.
- 3 July - Tour de France begins.
- 29 July - Tour de France ends, won by Antonin Magne.
- 1 January - Asher Peres, French-born Israeli physicist, considered a pioneer in quantum information theory (died 2005)
- 8 January - Jacques Anquetil, cyclist, five times Tour de France winner (died 1987)
- 25 January - Jean-Pierre Yvaral, artist (died 2002)
- 27 February - Vincent Fourcade, interior designer (died 1992)
- 2 March - Robert Batailly, politician (died 2017)
- 15 April - Solange Fernex, pacifist activist and politician (died 2006)
- 17 May - Pierre Clastres, anthropologist and ethnographer (died 1977)
- 4 June - Pierre Eyt, Roman Catholic Cardinal (died 2001)
- 11 June - Henrik, Prince Consort of Denmark, born Henri Laborde de Monpezat (died 2018)
- 6 July - Michel Crauste, rugby union player
- 9 July - Pierre Perret, singer and composer
- 17 July - Philippe Capdenat, composer
- 26 July - Jean Marie Balland, Roman Catholic Cardinal (died 1998)
- 21 August - Paul-André Meyer, mathematician (died 2003)
- 16 September - Paul-Louis Halley, billionaire businessman (died 2003)
- 28 September - Brigitte Bardot, actress and animal rights activist
- 5 October - Monique Papon, politician (died 2018)
- 26 October - Jacques Loussier, classical/jazz pianist (died 2019)
- 6 January - Fernand Lataste, zoologist (born 1847)
- 28 May - Eugenie Besserer, actress (born 1868)
- 15 June - Alfred Bruneau, composer (born 1857)
- 8 July - Benjamin Baillaud, astronomer (born 1848)
- 25 July - François Coty, perfume manufacturer (born 1874)
- 27 July - Hubert Lyautey, Marshal of France (born 1854)
- 15 October - Raymond Poincaré, statesman, five times Prime Minister of France, President of France (born 1860)
- 2 November - Edmond James de Rothschild, philanthropist (born 1845)
- 12 November - Walther Bensemann, German-Jewish association football pioneer (born 1873)
- 17 November - Gaëtan Gatian de Clérambault, psychiatrist (born 1872)
- 4 December - Paul-Albert Besnard, painter (born 1849)