1937 Ryder Cup
|Dates||29–30 June 1937|
|Venue||Southport and Ainsdale Golf Club|
|United States wins the Ryder Cup|
The 6th Ryder Cup Matches were held 29–30 June 1937 at the Southport and Ainsdale Golf Club in Southport, England. The United States team won the competition by a score of 8 to 4 points. It was the first time that the host team lost the competition and the second of seven consecutive wins for the U.S. side. The course had hosted the event four years earlier in 1933, Britain's last win until 1957.
The Ryder Cup is a match play event, with each match worth one point. From 1927 through 1959, the format consisted of 4 foursome (alternate shot) matches on the first day and 8 singles matches on the second day, for a total of 12 points. Therefore, 6 1⁄2 points were required to win the Cup. All matches were played to a maximum of 36 holes.
From the start of 1937, Henry Cotton became professional to the Ashridge Golf Club and hence became eligible for selection for the British team. He had missed the 1931 edition because of a dispute and was not eligible in 1933 and 1935 because he was employed in Belgium. In April 1937, it was announced that, as in 1935, a selection committee of six would choose the Great Britain team for the 1937 Ryder Cup. In July, the team of ten was selected (as below). Charles Whitcombe was again chosen as the captain.
|Team Great Britain|
|Charles Whitcombe – captain||41||5||8||3–2–3||56.25|
|Walter Hagen||44||Non-playing captain|
Tuesday's foursome matches
|Padgham/Cotton||4 & 2||Dudley/Nelson|
|Lacey/Cox||2 & 1||Guldahl/Manero|
|Alliss/Burton||2 & 1||Picard/Revolta|
|1 1⁄2||Session||2 1⁄2|
|1 1⁄2||Overall||2 1⁄2|
18 hole scores: Padgham/Cotton v Dudley/Nelson: all square, Lacey/Cox: 1 up, Whitcombe/Rees v Sarazen/Shute: all square, Alliss/Burton: 3 up.
Wednesday's singles matches
|Alf Padgham||8 & 7||Ralph Guldahl|
|Sam King||halved||Denny Shute|
|Dai Rees||3 & 1||Byron Nelson|
|Henry Cotton||5 & 3||Tony Manero|
|Percy Alliss||1 up||Gene Sarazen|
|Dick Burton||5 & 4||Sam Snead|
|Alf Perry||2 & 1||Ed Dudley|
|Arthur Lacey||2 & 1||Henry Picard|
|2 1⁄2||Session||5 1⁄2|
18 hole scores: Guldahl: 6 up, King v Shute: all square, Rees: 1 up, Cotton: 2 up, Alliss: 1 up, Snead: 2 up, Dudley: 1 up, Picard: 1 up.
Individual player records
Each entry refers to the Win–Loss–Half record of the player.
Horton Smith did not play in any matches.
- "2016 Ryder Cup Media Guide" (PDF). Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- "T.H. Cotton for Ashridge". The Times, Saturday, October 10, 1936; pg. 6; Issue 47502; col C.
- "Ryder Cup Selection Committee". The Times, Wednesday, April 14, 1937; pg. 6; Issue 47658; col F.
- "British Team Selected". The Times, Tuesday, June 08, 1937; pg. 8; Issue 47705; col D.
- "The Ryder Cup - America Leads". The Times, Wednesday, June 30 1937; pg. 7; Issue 47724.
- "Golf - US Win the Ryder Cup". The Times, Thursday, July 1 1937; pg. 6; Issue 47725.
- "Ryder Cup 2006 » History » 1937 Results". The PGA of America, Ryder Cup Limited, and Turner Sports Interactive. Retrieved 2007-03-15.
- "Ryder Cup history: 1937". BBC Sport. 2006-09-14. Retrieved 2007-03-15.
- PGA of America: 1937 Ryder Cup
- About.com: 1937 Ryder Cup