1942 World Series
|Dates:||September 30 – October 5|
|Radio announcers:||Red Barber and Mel Allen|
|Umpires:||George Magerkurth (NL), Bill Summers (AL), George Barr (NL), Cal Hubbard (AL)|
|Hall of Famers:||Umpire: Cal Hubbard Cardinals: Billy Southworth (mgr.), Enos Slaughter, Stan Musial
Yankees: Joe McCarthy (mgr.), Bill Dickey, Joe DiMaggio, Joe Gordon, Phil Rizzuto, Red Ruffing
The 1942 World Series featured the defending champion New York Yankees against the St. Louis Cardinals, with the Cardinals winning the Series in five games for their first championship since 1934 and their fourth overall.
The Yankees won Game 1 despite a Cardinals rally, but the Cardinals swept the rest. The loss was the Yankees' first since the 1926 World Series, also to the Cardinals. They had won eight Series in the interim (a record for most consecutive series won between losses) and had won 32 out of 36 World Series games in that period, including five sweeps (1927 vs. the Pirates, 1928 vs. the Cardinals, 1932 and 1938 vs. the Cubs and 1939 vs. the Reds).
|1||September 30||New York Yankees – 7, St. Louis Cardinals – 4||Sportsman's Park (III)||2:35||34,769|
|2||October 1||New York Yankees – 3, St. Louis Cardinals – 4||Sportsman's Park (III)||1:57||34,255|
|3||October 3||St. Louis Cardinals – 2, New York Yankees – 0||Yankee Stadium (I)||2:30||69,123|
|4||October 4||St. Louis Cardinals – 9, New York Yankees – 6||Yankee Stadium (I)||2:28||69,902|
|5||October 5||St. Louis Cardinals – 4, New York Yankees – 2||Yankee Stadium (I)||1:58||69,052|
|WP: Red Ruffing (1–0) LP: Mort Cooper (0–1) Sv: Spud Chandler (1)|
In Game 1, Red Ruffing had a no-hitter until Terry Moore singled for St. Louis with two out in the eighth inning. In the ninth inning, the Cardinals scored four runs and then managed to load the bases, bringing Stan Musial to the plate as the winning run, only to have Musial ground out.
|WP: Johnny Beazley (1–0) LP: Tiny Bonham (0–1)
NYY: Charlie Keller (1)
|WP: Ernie White (1–0) LP: Spud Chandler (0–1)|
|WP: Max Lanier (1–0) LP: Atley Donald (0–1)
NYY: Charlie Keller (2)
|WP: Johnny Beazley (2–0) LP: Red Ruffing (1–1)
STL: Enos Slaughter (1), Whitey Kurowski (1)
NYY: Phil Rizzuto (1)
In the top of the ninth, Whitey Kurowski snapped a 2–2 tie with a two-run homer to give the Cardinals the lead and the Series.
|St. Louis Cardinals||2||0||1||7||0||1||3||1||8||23||39||10|
|New York Yankees||2||0||0||2||1||5||0||6||2||18||44||5|
|Total attendance: 277,101 Average attendance: 55,420
Winning player's share: $6,193 Losing player's share: $3,352
1942 World Series in literature
- This World Series was used as a background for the plot endings in Philip Roth's 2004 novel The Plot Against America.
- "1942 World Series Game 1 – New York Yankees vs. St. Louis Cardinals". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- "1942 World Series Game 2 – New York Yankees vs. St. Louis Cardinals". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- "1942 World Series Game 3 – St. Louis Cardinals vs. New York Yankees". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- "1942 World Series Game 4 – St. Louis Cardinals vs. New York Yankees". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- "1942 World Series Game 5 – St. Louis Cardinals vs. New York Yankees". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- Cohen, Richard M.; Neft, David S. (1990). The World Series: Complete Play-By-Play of Every Game, 1903–1989. New York: St. Martin's Press. pp. 188–191. ISBN 0-312-03960-3.
- Reichler, Joseph (1982). The Baseball Encyclopedia (5th ed.). Macmillan Publishing. p. 2150. ISBN 0-02-579010-2.