1942 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1942 in India.
- March – Jawaharlal Nehru's daughter Indira marries a Parsi lawyer and insurgent, Feroze Gandhi against her father's wishes.
- The Cripps mission's proposals are rejected by Congress.
- 8 August – Quit India resolution was passed by the Bombay session of the AICC, which led to the start of a historical civil disobedience movement across India.
- 9 August – Indian leader, Mohandas Gandhi is arrested in Bombay by British forces.
- August – Newly married couple Indira Gandhi and Feroze Gandhi are arrested for their participation in Quit India movement.
- 16 October – Hurricane and flooding in Bombay: 40,000 dead.
- 14 January – Yogesh Kumar Sabharwal, Chief Justice of India.
- 10 February – Madhabi Mukherjee, actress.
- 21 February – Jayshree Gadkar, actress (died 2008).
- 11 March – Amarinder Singh, politician and former Chief Minister of Punjab.
- 2 April – Roshan Seth, actor.
- 26 May – Dr. Sri Ganapathy Sachchidananda Swamiji
- 19 August – Bungle Shama Rao Dwarakanath, actor.
- 2 October – Asha Parekh, actress, director and producer.
- 11 October – Amitabh Bachchan, actor.
- 29 December – Rajesh Khanna, actor.
- Everyman's Dictionary of Dates; 6th ed. J. M. Dent, 1971; p. 263