1942 in Japan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|See also:||Other events of 1942
List of years in Japan
Events in the year 1942 in Japan.
Below, events of World War II have the "WWII" preface
- 11 January - Japanese paratroopers land on Sulawesi.
- 12 January - Japan declares war on the Dutch.
- 22 January - Hideki Tōjō warns Australia that "if you continue resistance, we Japanese will destroy you."
- 4 February - Japan demands the surrender of Singapore.
- 17 February - Singapore is renamed Shōnan ("Light of the South").
- 20 March - The navy minister, Admiral Shigetarō Shimada says that in view of the Allies' "Retaliation and hatred", Japan would no longer follow recognized rules of sea warfare.
- 25 May - Four ships leave Hokkaido to stage a diversionary raid on the Aleutian Islands.
- 4–7 June - Battle of Midway
- 21 August - Battle of the Tenaru
- 11–12 October - Battle of Cape Esperance
- 12–15 November - Naval Battle of Guadalcanal
- January 8 - Junichiro Koizumi, politician
- April 2 - Hiroyuki Sakai, chef
- April 25 - Katsuji Adachi, professional wrestler
- May 24 - Ichirō Ozawa, politician
- August 31 - Isao Aoki, golfer
- September 16 - Tadamasa Goto, yakuza boss
- May 29 - Akiko Yosano, author and poet
- June 4 - Tamon Yamaguchi, admiral
- June 5 - Ryusaku Yanagimoto
- August 21 - Kiyonao Ichiki
- August 26 - Junichi Sasai
- September 5 - Toshinari Maeda
- October 12 - Aritomo Gotō, admiral
- October 21 - Toshio Ōta
- October 26 - Yumio Nasu
- November 23 - Tomitarō Horii
- Chen, Peter. "Ichiki Kiyonao". WW2 Database