1943 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1943 in India.
- Emperor of India – George VI
- Viceroy of India – Victor Hope, 2nd Marquess of Linlithgow
- Viceroy of India – The Viscount Wavell (from 1 October)
- Bengal famine of 1943
- 10 February – 3 March – Mohandas Gandhi maintains a hunger strike to protest his imprisonment.
- 5 December – The Japanese attack the Port of Kolkata
- 30 December – Subhas Chandra Bose sets up a pro-Japanese Indian government at Port Blair.
January to June
- 1 January – Raghunath Anant Mashelkar, scientist.
- 30 March – J. J. Rawal, astrophysicist and scientific educator.
- 26 May – Manorama, actress.
- 2 June – Ilaiyaraaja, film composer, singer and lyricist.
July to December
- 13 July – E. Harikumar, novelist and short story writer.
- 11 August – Pervez Musharraf, former President of Pakistan.
- 23 September – Tanuja, actress of Bollywood films & younger sister of Nutan.
- 31 October – G. Madhavan Nair, Chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation.
- 11 November – Anil Kakodkar, nuclear scientist.