1944 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- July – Dulwich Picture Gallery in London is substantially damaged by a V-1 flying bomb; half a dozen paintings are destroyed, but most have been evacuated to Aberystwyth.
- Clandestine publication of Vaincre, an album of 12 colour lithographs by 8 artists in support of the French Resistance.
- Jean Dubuffet's first solo exhibition.
- David Aronson – The Last Supper
- Francis Bacon – Three Studies for Figures at the Base of a Crucifixion
- David Bomberg – Evening in the City of London
- Stella Bowen – Bomber Crew
- Robert Capa – "The Magnificent Eleven" (photographs)
- William Coldstream – Casualty Reception Station, Capua
- Salvador Dalí – Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee Around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening
- Jacob Epstein – sculptures
- First Portrait of Esther (with long hair)
- George Grosz – Cain, or Hitler in Hell
- Jean Hélion – The Stairway
- Frida Kahlo
- Dame Laura Knight – Take Off
- Fernand Léger – Three Musicians (Museum of Modern Art, New York)
- Henri Matisse – Annelies, White Tulips and Anemones
- Joan Miró – Barcelona Series (lithographs)
- Piet Mondrian – Victory Boogie-Woogie (unfinished)
- Felix Nussbaum – Triumph of Death
- Pablo Picasso – Man with Sheep (sculpture)
- William Roberts
- Robert F. Sargent – Into the Jaws of Death (photograph)
- Ben Shahn – The Red Stairway
See also: Category:1944 sculptures
- 9 January – Ian Hornak, American painter and draughtsman (d. 2002).
- 10 January – Jeff Jones, American illustrator.
- 4 March – Glen Baxter, English cartoonist.
- 4 April – Phyllida Barlow, English sculptor.
- 8 May – David Vaughan, English psychedelic artist and muralist (d. 2003).
- 4 August – Allan McCollum, American conceptual artist, all media.
- 15 August – Gianfranco Ferré, Italian fashion designer (d. 2007).
- 20 August – Brian Barnes, English mural artist.
- 1 September – Louis Delsarte, American painter.
- 4 November – Don Eddy – American painter.
Full date unknown
- Abbas, Iranian-born documentary photographer.
- Michael Heizer, American sculptor, earth artist.
- Richard Mock, American painter, sculptor and cartoonist (d. 2006).
- Allen Ruppersberg, American conceptual artist, installation artist.
- January 23 – Edvard Munch, Norwegian expressionist painter (b. 1863)
- February 1 – Piet Mondrian, Dutch abstract painter (b. 1872)
- April 25 – George Herriman, American cartoonist (Krazy Kat) (b. 1880)
- July 18 – Rex Whistler, English painter (killed in action) (b. 1905)
- August 2 – Felix Nussbaum, German Jewish surrealist painter (in Auschwitz concentration camp) (b. 1904)
- September 3 – William Logsdail, English landscape, portrait, and genre painter (b. 1859)
- September 27
- October 14 – Marko Murat, Serbian painter (b. 1864)
- October 21 – Hilma af Klint, Swedish abstract painter and mystic (b. 1862)
- November 22 – Sir George Clausen, English artist (b. 1852)
- December 10 – Miklós Ligeti, Hungarian sculptor (b. 1871)
- December 13 – Wassily Kandinsky, Russian abstract painter (b. 1866)
- Undated – Esther Kenworthy, English flower painter (b. 1857)