1944 in art
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The year 1944 in art involved some significant events and new works.
- July – Dulwich Picture Gallery in London is substantially damaged by a V-1 flying bomb; half a dozen paintings are destroyed, but most have been evacuated to Aberystwyth.
- Clandestine publication of Vaincre, an album of 12 colour lithographs by 8 artists in support of the French Resistance.
- Jean Dubuffet's first solo exhibition.
- David Aronson – The Last Supper
- Duffy Ayers – Portrait of Tirzah Garwood
- Francis Bacon – Three Studies for Figures at the Base of a Crucifixion
- David Bomberg – Evening in the City of London
- Stella Bowen – Bomber Crew
- Robert Capa – "The Magnificent Eleven" (photographs)
- William Coldstream – Casualty Reception Station, Capua
- Salvador Dalí – Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee Around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening
- Jacob Epstein – sculptures
- First Portrait of Esther (with long hair)
- George Grosz – Cain, or Hitler in Hell
- Jean Hélion – The Stairway
- Frida Kahlo
- Dame Laura Knight – Take Off
- Fernand Léger – Three Musicians (Museum of Modern Art, New York)
- Henri Matisse – Annelies, White Tulips and Anemones
- Joan Miró – Barcelona Series (lithographs)
- Piet Mondrian – Victory Boogie-Woogie (unfinished)
- Walter Thomas Monnington
- Felix Nussbaum – Triumph of Death
- Pablo Picasso – Man with Sheep (sculpture)
- William Roberts
- Robert F. Sargent – Into the Jaws of Death (photograph)
- Ben Shahn – The Red Stairway
- 9 January – Ian Hornak, American painter and draughtsman (d. 2002).
- 10 January – Jeff Jones, American illustrator.
- 4 March – Glen Baxter, English cartoonist.
- 4 April – Phyllida Barlow, English sculptor.
- 8 May – David Vaughan, English psychedelic artist and muralist (d. 2003).
- 4 August – Allan McCollum, American conceptual artist, all media.
- 15 August – Gianfranco Ferré, Italian fashion designer (d. 2007).
- 20 August – Brian Barnes, English mural artist.
- 1 September – Louis Delsarte, American painter.
- 4 November – Don Eddy – American painter.
Full date unknown
- Abbas, Iranian-born documentary photographer.
- Michael Heizer, American sculptor, earth artist.
- Richard Mock, American painter, sculptor and cartoonist (d. 2006).
- Allen Ruppersberg, American conceptual artist, installation artist.
- January 23 – Edvard Munch, Norwegian expressionist painter (b. 1863)
- February 1 – Piet Mondrian, Dutch abstract painter (b. 1872)
- April 25 – George Herriman, American cartoonist (Krazy Kat) (b. 1880)
- July 18 – Rex Whistler, English painter (killed in action) (b. 1905)
- August 2 – Felix Nussbaum, German Jewish surrealist painter (in Auschwitz concentration camp) (b. 1904)
- September 3 – William Logsdail, English landscape, portrait, and genre painter (b. 1859)
- September 27
- October 14 – Marko Murat, Serbian painter (b. 1864)
- October 21 – Hilma af Klint, Swedish abstract painter and mystic (b. 1862)
- November 22 – Sir George Clausen, English artist (b. 1852)
- December 10 – Miklós Ligeti, Hungarian sculptor (b. 1871)
- December 13 – Wassily Kandinsky, Russian abstract painter (b. 1866)
- Undated – Esther Kenworthy, English flower painter (b. 1857)