1945 Balochistan earthquake
|UTC time||1945-11-27 21:56:53|
|Local date||28 November 1945|
|Local time||1:26 PST|
|Magnitude||8.1 Mw |
|Depth||15 kilometers (9.3 mi)|
|Areas affected||British India |
|Max. intensity||X (Extreme) |
|Tsunami||15.24 m (50.0 ft) |
The 1945 Balochistan earthquake (Urdu: بلوچستان زلزلہ 1945) occurred in British India at 1:26 PST on 28 November 1945 with a moment magnitude of 8.1 and a maximum perceived intensity of X (Extreme) on the Mercalli intensity scale.
The earthquake's epicenter was 97.6 kilometers south-southwest of Pasni in Balochistan and a tsunami caused damage along the Makran coastal region. Deaths from the event were reported to be at least 300 and as many as 4,000 people.
- Rajendran, C. P.; Ramanamurthy, M. V.; Reddy, N. T.; Rajendran, K. (2008). "Hazard implications of the late arrival of the 1945 Makran tsunami". Current Science. 95 (12): 1739–1743.
- "Significant earthquake". National Geophysical Data Center. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- Quittmeyer & Jacob 1979, p. 777
- USGS (September 4, 2009), PAGER-CAT Earthquake Catalog, Version 2008_06.1, United States Geological Survey
- Utsu, T. R. (2002), "A List of Deadly Earthquakes in the World: 1500–2000", International Handbook of Earthquake & Engineering Seismology, Part A, Volume 81A (First ed.), Academic Press, p. 706, ISBN 978-0124406520
- Quittmeyer & Jacob 1979, p. 795
- Quittmeyer, R. C.; Jacob, K. H. (1979), "Historical and modern seismicity of Pakistan, Afghanistan, northwestern India, and southeastern Iran", Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 69 (3): 773–823
- Earthquake and Tsunami of 28 November 1945 in Southern Pakistan – George Pararas-Carayannis
- Search for Eyewitness Accounts and Historical Documents on 1945 Makran Tsunami – UNESCO
- The International Seismological Centre has a bibliography and/or authoritative data for this event.