1945 in France
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events from the year 1945 in France.
- 1 January? - Jean-Paul Sartre refuses the Legion of Honour.
- 6 February - Writer Robert Brasillach executed for collaboration with the Germans.
- 9 March - Japanese overthrow the Vichy French Decoux Government in Vietnam.
- 2 May - Colette is the first woman to be admitted to the Académie Goncourt.
- 7 May - General Alfred Jodl signs unconditional surrender terms at Rheims, ending Germany's participation in the war. The document will take effect the next day.
- 8 May - World War II ends in Europe.
- 8–29 May - In Algeria, French troops kill an estimated 6,000 Algerian citizens in the Sétif massacre.
- 23 July - Marshal Philippe Pétain, who headed the Vichy government during World War II, goes on trial, charged with treason.
- 31 July - Pierre Laval, fugitive former leader of Vichy France, surrenders to Allied soldiers in Austria.
- 19–30 August - Việt Minh under Hồ Chí Minh carry out the August Revolution in Vietnam.
- 15 October - Former premier of Vichy France, Pierre Laval, is executed by firing squad for treason.
- 21 October - Legislative Election held. Women are allowed to vote for the first time.
- 13 November - Charles de Gaulle elected head of a French provisional government.
- 2 December - French banks (Banque de France, BNCI, CNEP, Crédit Lyonnais, and Société Générale) nationalized.
- 21 December - André Malraux is appointed minister of information by de Gaulle.
- 17 February - Bernard Rapp, film director and television news presenter (died 2006)
- 4 April - Daniel Cohn-Bendit, political activist and politician
- 15 April - Christian Bergelin, politician (died 2008)
- 15 June - Françoise Chandernagor, writer
- 20 June - Jean-Claude Izzo, poet, playwright, screenwriter and novelist (died 2000)
- 30 July - Patrick Modiano, novelist, Nobel laureate
- 12 August - Jean Nouvel, architect
- 12 October - Aurore Clément, actress
- 16 October - Pascal Sevran, TV presenter and author (died 2008)
- 28 October - François-Xavier Verschave, one of founders of the NGO Survie (died 2005)
Full date unknown
- Catherine Leroy, photojournalist and photographer (died 2006)
- 5 February -
- 6 February - Robert Brasillach, author, executed for collaboration (born 1909)
- 23 March - Elisabeth de Rothschild, World War II heroine (born 1902)
- 30 March - Élise Rivet, nun and World War II heroine (born 1890)
- 8 June - Robert Desnos, surrealist poet (born 1900)
- 20 July - Paul Valéry, poet, essayist and philosopher (born 1871)
- 15 October - Pierre Laval, politician and Prime Minister, executed (born 1883)
- 26 October - Paul Pelliot, sinologist and explorer (born 1878)
- Le Pétomane (Joseph Pujol), flatulist (born 1857)