1946 in New Zealand
- 1 Population
- 2 Incumbents
- 3 Events
- 4 Arts and literature
- 5 Sport
- 6 Births
- 7 Deaths
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
- Estimated population as of 31 December: 1,781,200 
- Increase since 31/12/1945: 53,400 (3.09%)
- Males per 100 females: 100.2
Regal and viceregal
- Head of State - George VI
- Governor-General - Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir Cyril Newall GCB OM GCMG CBE AM, succeeded same year by Lieutenant-General The Lord Freyberg VC GCMG KCB KBE DSO 
- Speaker of the House - Frederick Schramm (Labour)
- Prime Minister - Peter Fraser
- Minister of Finance - Walter Nash
- Minister of Foreign Affairs - Peter Fraser
- Attorney-General - Rex Mason
Main centre leaders
- Mayor of Auckland - John Allum
- Mayor of Hamilton - Harold Caro
- Mayor of Wellington - Will Appleton
- Mayor of Christchurch - Ernest Andrews
- Mayor of Dunedin - Donald Cameron
Arts and literature
See: 1946 in music
National Champions (Postal Shoot) 
- Lionel Fox wins his second national title in the men's marathon, clocking 2:40:00 in Wanganui.
National Associations are formed for both men and women (now combined as Basketball New Zealand) and the first championship for men under the control of their association is held. (see 1938 and 1939)
- Interprovincial champions: Men - (tie) Auckland, Wellington, Otago
- The 53rd National Chess Championship was held in Christchurch, and was won by T. Lepviikman of Wellington.
- 14 September: A New Zealand team played a single game against Wellington, which they won 5-2
- The Chatham Cup is won by Wellington Marist who beat Technical Old Boys of Christchurch 2—1 in the final.
- Provincial league champions: 
- 25 February: Grahame Thorne, rugby player, commentator and politician.
- 28 February: Graham Vivian, cricketer.
- 2 April: Richard Collinge, cricketer.
- 24 May: Ian Kirkpatrick, rugby player.
- 5 June (in Wales): John Bach, actor.
- 8 June: Graham Henry, rugby coach.
- 13 June: Geoff Murphy, film director.
- 27 June: Bruce Cribb, motorcycle speedway rider.
- 4 July: Sam Hunt, performance poet.
- 4 August: Paul East, politician.
- 1 September: Keith Quinn, broadcaster.
- 14 September: John Luxton, politician.
- 29 September: Neil Cherry, environmental scientist.
- 17 October: Ian Wedde, writer.
- 30 November: Ken Wadsworth, cricketer.
- 2 December:
- 27 December: Bill Manhire, poet.
- date unknown
- List of years in New Zealand
- Timeline of New Zealand history
- History of New Zealand
- Military history of New Zealand
- Timeline of the New Zealand environment
- Timeline of New Zealand's links with Antarctica
For world events and topics in 1946 not specifically related to New Zealand see: 1946
- Statistics New Zealand: Historical Population Estimates
- Statistics New Zealand: New Zealand Official Yearbook, 1990. ISSN 0078-0170 page 52
- "Elections NZ - Leaders of the Opposition". Retrieved 6 April 2008.
- In a postal shoot clubs compete on specified dates and the results are posted to the Association.
- Todd, S. (1976) Sporting Records of New Zealand. Auckland: Moa Publications. ISBN 0-908570-00-7
- List of New Zealand Chess Champions
- List of NZ Trotting cup winners
- Auckland Trotting cup at hrnz.co.nz
- List of New Zealand national soccer matches
- Chatham Cup records, nzsoccer.com
- "New Zealand: List of champions". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. 1999.
Media related to 1946 in New Zealand at Wikimedia Commons