1947 Assam earthquake
|Date||July 29, 1947|
|Origin time||13:43 UTC |
|Magnitude||7.3 Mw |
The 1947 Assam earthquake occurred on 29 July at 13:43 UTC with a magnitude of Mw 7.3. The earthquake was located near the border between India and Tibet. Some sources put the epicenter in Indian, and some put it in Tibet. In the Chinese literature, this earthquake was often located around the Nang County, Tibet.
In Dibrugarh, Jorhat, and Tezpur, there were cracks in walls. Failure of electricity was reported in Guwahati. The released seismic moment was about 1.5×1020 Nm. The mechanism of the earthquake is not well known.
- Engdahl, E. R.; Vallaseñor, A. (2002). "Global seismicity: 1900–1999". International Handbook of Earthquake & Engineering Seismology (PDF). Part A, Volume 81A (First ed.). Academic Press. p. 679. ISBN 978-0124406520. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-08-06.
- Paula Dunbar. "Significant Earthquakes Database". noaa.gov.
- "Documentation on past disasters, their impact, measures taken, vulnerable areas in Assam" (PDF).
- "青藏块体8级左右地震前中强地震活动图像的相似性演化" by 朱红彬
- "Instantaneous deformation and kinematics of the India-Australia Plate" by M. Delescluse and N. Chamot-Rooke
- Sengupta, P.; Nath, S. K.; Thingbaijam, K. K. S.; Mistri, S. (2011). "Fractal analysis of major faults in India on a regional scale" (PDF). Journal of the Geological Society of India. Geological Society of India. 78: 229. doi:10.1007/s12594-011-0086-4.