1947 in South Africa
|1947 in South Africa|
|1944 1945 1946 « 1947 » 1948 1949 1950|
- 9 – The Three Doctors’ Pact is signed by Dr A.B. Xuma (African National Congress), Dr Gagathura Mohambry Naicker (Natal Indian Congress) and Dr Yusuf Dadoo (Transvaal Indian Congress).
- 18 – Mrs. Ples is discovered.
- 4 – The Natal Indian Organisation is formed.
- 29 – Marion Island is annexed by South Africa.
- 2 June – Cornelius Mahlangu is born, later to become King Ingwenyama Mayitjha III of the Ndzundza-Mabhoko people (Ndebele).
- 4 June – Uwe Pfaff, artist, is born in Rye, Denmark.
- 2 July – George Weideman, author, is born.
- 16 July – Roelf Meyer, politician, is born.
- 21 December – Ina Pretorius, founder member of Die Grafsteensangers, is born.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2013)|
Two new Cape gauge locomotive types enter service on the South African Railways (SAR):
- Twelve Class S1 0-8-0 shunting steam locomotives, designed and built in the Salt River workshops in Cape Town.:103–104:80–81
- The first of twenty-eight Class 3E electric locomotives.:126
The South Africa national football team tours Australia and New Zealand and plays five games against the Australia national association football team and four against the New Zealand national football team.
- 10 May – South Africa wins 2-1 at the Sydney Cricket Grounds, Australia.
- 24 May – South Africa wins 4-2 at the Brisbane Cricket Grounds, Australia.
- 31 May – South Africa and Australia draw 3-3 at the Sydney Show Grounds, Australia.
- 7 June – Australia wins 5-1 at the Newcastle Sports Grounds, Australia.
- 14 June – South Africa wins 2-1 at the Sydney Cricket Grounds, Australia.
- New Zealand
- 28 June – South Africa wins 6-5 at the Lancaster Park, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- 5 July – South Africa wins 6-0 at the Carisbrook Stadium, Dunedin, New Zealand.
- 12 July – South Africa wins 8-3 at the Athletic Park, Wellington, New Zealand.
- 19 July – South Africa wins 4-1 at the Eden Park, Auckland, New Zealand.