1949 BAA Playoffs
The 1949 BAA Playoffs was the postseason tournament following the Basketball Association of America 1948–49 season, its third and last. (Later that year the BAA and National Basketball League merged to create the National Basketball Association or NBA.) The tournament concluded with the Western Division champion Minneapolis Lakers defeating the Eastern Division champion Washington Capitols 4 games to 2 in the BAA Finals.
The eight qualified teams began tournament play on Tuesday and Wednesday, March 22 and 23, and the Finals concluded on Wednesday, April 13. Minneapolis and Washington played 10 and 11 games in a span of 22 days; their six final games in ten days. Prior to their final series, however, Minneapolis had been idle for five days, Washington for only one day.
|Division Semifinals||Division Finals||BAA Finals|
Champion: Minneapolis Lakers
- Game 1 @ Rochester: Rochester 93, St. Louis 64
- Game 2 @ St. Louis: Rochester 66, St. Louis 64
This was the first meeting between the Royals and Bombers.
- Game 1 @ Minneapolis: Minneapolis 84, Chicago 77
- Game 2 @ Chicago: Minneapolis 101, Chicago 85
This was the first meeting between the Lakers and Stags.
- Game 1 @ Rochester: Minneapolis 80, Rochester 79
- Game 2 @ Minneapolis: Minneapolis 67, Rochester 55
This was the first meeting between the Royals and Lakers.
Champion: Washington Capitols
- Game 1 @ Washington: Washington 92, Philadelphia 70
- Game 2 @ Philadelphia: Washington 80, Philadelphia 78
This was the first meeting between the Capitols and Warriors.
- Game 1 @ New York: Baltimore 82, New York 81
- Game 2 @ Baltimore: New York 84, Baltimore 74
- Game 3 @ New York: New York 103, Baltimore 99 (OT)
Last playoff meeting: 1948 BAA First Round (Baltimore won 2-1)
- Game 1 @ Washington: Washington 77, New York 71
- Game 2 @ New York: New York 86, Washington 84 (OT)
- Game 3 @ Washington: Washington 84, New York 76
This was the first meeting between the Capitols and Knicks.
- Game 1 @ Minneapolis: Minneapolis 88, Washington 84
- Game 2 @ Minneapolis: Minneapolis 76, Washington 62
- Game 3 @ Washington: Minneapolis 94, Washington 74
- Game 4 @ Washington: Washington 83, Minneapolis 71
- Game 5 @ Washington: Washington 74, Minneapolis 65
- Game 6 @ Minneapolis: Minneapolis 77, Washington 56
This was the first meeting between the Capitols and Lakers.
- "1948–49 BAA Season Summary". Basketball-Reference.com. Retrieved 2015-03-02.
Select "Next Season" from the heading for 1949–50, and so on. Select "Finals" from League Playoffs for the daily schedule of the final series, and so on.