1950 PGA Championship
|Dates||June 21–27, 1950|
|Location||Columbus, Ohio, U.S.|
|Course(s)||Scioto Country Club|
|Organized by||PGA of America|
|Format||Match play - 6 rounds|
|Length||7,032 yards (6,430 m)|
64 to match play
|Cut||153 (+11), playoff|
|def. Henry Williams, Jr., 4 & 3|
The 1950 PGA Championship was the 32nd PGA Championship, held June 21–27 at Scioto Country Club in Upper Arlington, Ohio, a suburb northwest of Columbus. Chandler Harper won the match play championship, 4 & 3 over Henry Williams, Jr. in the Tuesday final; the winner's share was $3,500 and the runner-up's was $1,500. It was Harper's only major title; his next best finish in a major was a tie for eighth at the Masters in 1947.
The last three majors were held within several weeks in 1950. The U.S. Open was concluded less than two weeks earlier near Philadelphia where Ben Hogan defeated Lloyd Mangrum and George Fazio in an 18-hole playoff on Sunday, June 11. The British Open was played the first week of July in Scotland.
- Wednesday and Thursday – 36-hole stroke play qualifier, 18 holes per day;
- defending champion Sam Snead and top 63 professionals advanced to match play
- Friday – first two rounds, 18 holes each
- Saturday – third round – 36 holes
- Sunday – quarterfinals – 36 holes
- Monday – semifinals – 36 holes
- Tuesday – final – 36 holes
Past champions in the field
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||Record||Advanced to||Finish|
|Henry Picard||United States||1939||4–1||Semifinals||T3|
|Denny Shute||United States||1936, 1937||2–1||Third round||T9|
|Jim Ferrier||Australia||1947||1–1||Second round||T17|
|Sam Snead||United States||1942, 1949||1–1||Second round||T17|
|Vic Ghezzi||United States||1941||0–1||First round||T33|
|Paul Runyan||United States||1934, 1938||0–1||First round||T33|
Tuesday, June 27, 1950
|1||Chandler Harper||United States||3,500|
|2||Henry Williams, Jr.||United States||1,500|
|T3||Jimmy Demaret||United States||750|
|Henry Picard||United States|
|T5||Dave Douglas||United States||500|
|Ray Gafford||United States|
|Lloyd Mangrum||United States|
|Johnny Palmer||United States|
Final eight bracket
|Henry Williams, Jr.|
|Henry Williams, Jr.||1up|
|Henry Williams, Jr.||38h|
Final match scorecards
4 & 3
- "Snead starts defense of PGA Championship". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. June 21, 1950. p. 17.
- "Tournament Info for: 1950 PGA Championship". PGA.com. Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- Bartlett, Charles (June 28, 1950). "Harper wins P.G.A. title, 4 and 3". Chicago Daily Tribune. p. 1, sec. 3.
- Gundelfinger, Phil, Jr. (June 28, 1950). "Chandler beats Williams for PGA title, 4-3". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. 23.
- Gundelfinger, Phil, Jr. (June 23, 1950). "Snead's 140 wins PGA medal". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. 19.
- Gundelfinger, Phil, Jr. (June 24, 1950). "Snead dethroned by Eddie Burke in second round". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. 11.