1950 in India
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1950 in the Republic of India.
- King of India – George VI (until 24 Jan.)
- Governor-General of the Union of India – C. Rajagopalachari (until 24 Jan.)
- President of India – Rajendra Prasad took office on 26 January
- Prime Minister of India – Jawaharlal Nehru
- Chief Justice of India – H. J. Kania (from 26 Jan.)
- 25 January – Election Commission is established.
- 26 January – The Constitution comes into force making India a republic, the day is observed as Republic Day ever since and declares Kashmir and Jammu into the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir, thus Kashmir becomes autonomous within the federation.
- 26 January – Dr. Rajendra Prasad moves into Rashtrapati Bhavan as the first President of India.
- 8 April – Liaquat–Nehru Pact signed by Pakistan's Prime Minister Liaquat Ali Khan and Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru in New Delhi
- 31 July 1950 – Indo-Nepal Treaty of Peace and Friendship signed
- 15 August – The 8.6 Mw Assam–Tibet earthquake shakes the region with a maximum Mercalli intensity of XI (Extreme), killing between 1,500–3,300 people.
Full date Unknown
- Andaman and Nicobar Island's handed over to India by England and Burma. It becomes the part of India
January to June
- 5 January – Jagathy Sreekumar, comedian-actor.
- 9 January – Y. Gee. Mahendra, dramatist, actor, singer playwright and comedian.
- 14 January – Rambhadracharya, Hindu religious leader.
- 9 February – Kilimanoor Chandran, author, poet and columnist.
- 11 April – Leo Rebello, holistic health guru, author, human rights activist, world peace envoy.
- 13 May – J. M. Aaron Rashid, politician.
- 22 June – Tom Alter, film actor.
July to December
- 1 July – Ekram Ali, poet and critic.
- 19 August – Sudha Murty, social worker and author
- 17 September – Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India
- 18 September – Shabana Azmi, actress and social activist & Vishnuvardhan – Kannada actor
- 24 September – Mohinder Amarnath, cricketer.
- 12 December – Rajinikanth, film actor
Full date unknown
- Tom Alter, actor.
- 14 April – Ramana Maharshi, Ancient Sage of the Modern Era (born 1879).
- 24 June – Darwan Singh Negi, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1914 (born 1881).
- 5 December – Sri Aurobindo, nationalist, scholar, poet, mystic, evolutionary philosopher, yogi and guru (born 1872).
- 15 December – Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, political and social leader (born 1875).
- Everyman's Dictionary Df dates; 6th ed. J. M. Dent, 1971; p. 265
|This year in India article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|