1951 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1951 in the Republic of India.
- 18 June – First Amendment of the Constitution of India says "state can make special provisions for advancement of any backward class"
- 5 November – Central Railway is formed by the merger of several government-owned railways.
- Western Railway is formed by merging smaller railways.
Arts and literature
- 16 December – Salar Jung Museum is opened to the public by the Prime Minister of India Jawaharlal Nehru.
- 1 January – Nana Patekar, actor and filmmaker.
- 17 January – Bindu, actress.
- 1 March – Nitish Kumar, politician and Chief Minister of Bihar.
- 10 July – Narayanasami Sathyamurthy, scientist.
- 15 February – Stephen Hector Taylor-Smith, rocket scientist (born 1891).