1951 in the Philippines
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
1951 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in 1951
- President: Elpidio Quirino (Liberal)
- Vice President: Fernando Lopez (Liberal)
- Chief Justice: Manuel Moran (until March 20), Ricardo Paras (starting April 2)
- Congress: 2nd
- March 4-11 – The Philippines participates in the first ever Asian Games held in New Delhi, India. With 3 gold medals, the country is ranked 5th in the medal tally and 3rd place in the over-all medal count.
- March 6 – Fort Santiago is declared a National Shrine.
- August 30 – The Mutual Defense Treaty between Philippines and United States is signed.
- October 8 – Nicasio “Asiong” Salonga, branded as Tondo’s Public Enemy No. 1 and the kingpin of Manila, is killed during a drinking spree when he is shot by Ernesto Reyes, a henchman of Salonga’s rival and also-notorious gang leader Carlos “Totoy Golem” Capistrano.
- January 22 - Shalala, TV host and radio personality
- January 28 - Oscar Orbos, Philippine TV Personality
- February 18 - Isabel Preysler, Filipina socialite and television host.
- February 28 - Oscar Moreno, Filipino politician.
- March 10 - Gloria Diaz, Filipino model and actress, Miss Universe 1969
- March 17 - Junix Inocian, Filipino stage, television and film actor (died 2015)
- April 18 - Ricardo Fortaleza, Filipino-Australian Olympic amateur boxer/amateur boxing coach and boxing instructor.
- April 27 - Fredenil Castro, Filipino politician.
- May 4 - Manuel Buising, screenwriter
- May 26 - Bogs Adornado, Filipino basketball player and coach.
- June 4 - Francis Arnaiz, basketball player
- June 29 - Billy Hinsche, musician
- July 1 - Florencio Miraflores, Filipino politician.
- July 10 - Romulo Valles, Archbishop of the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Davao
- July 22 - Marte Samson, Filipino basketball player
- August 3 - Aleem Said Ahmad Basher, Filipino-Muslim Alim, an active Islamic preacher, broadcaster, lecturer and Islamic consultant
- August 27 - Jocelyn Bolante, Filipino politician
- August 30 - Jim Paredes, Filipino musician, producer, educator, writer, photographer, television personality, workshop facilitator, and activist
- September 9 - Adelina Barrion, entomologist and geneticist (died 2010)
- September 29 - Mike Enriquez, Filipino radio and television newscaster
- October 3 - Hussin Ututalum Amin, Filipino politician, scholar and current mayor of Jolo
- October 8 - Jimmy Santos, Filipino actor, comedian, TV host and a basketball player.
- October 10 - Boboy Garovillo, member of the APO Hiking Society
- October 15 – Atoy Co, Filipino basketball player
- November 4 - Eugenio Torre, chess grandmaster
- November 8 - Basil Valdez, Filipino balladeer.
- November 10 - Lim Eng Beng, Filipino-Chinese professional basketball player
- November 27 - Danilo Palomer Santiago, Filipino Eclectic painter, professor and Department Chair of University of Santo Tomas - College of Fine Arts and Design (UST-CFAD)
- November 30- Jessup Bahinting, Filipino pilot
- December 1 - Philip Cezar, Filipino professional basketball player
- December 22 - Joey Lina, Filipino Politician
- Marissa Delgado, actress
- June 1 - José Alejandrino, Filipino general and senator (born 1870)
- June 21 - Juan Cailles, Filipino commander (born 1871)
- July 15 - Florentino Collantes, Filipino poet (born 1896)
- October 8 - Asiong Salonga, Filipino gangster (born 1924)
- October 23 - Fernando Poe, Sr. Filipino actor (born 1916)
- Guillermo Capadocia, Filipino politician and labour leader
|This Philippines-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|