1952 U.S. Women's Open Golf Championship
|Dates||June 26–29, 1952|
|Course(s)||Bala Golf Club|
|Organized by||LPGA Tour and
|Format||Stroke play – 72 holes|
|Length||5,460 yards (4,993 m)|
|Field||45: 14 pros, 31 amateurs|
|Prize fund||$7,500 |
The 1952 U.S. Women's Open Golf Championship was the seventh U.S. Women's Open, held June 26–29 at Bala Golf Club in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was the final time the event was organized by the LPGA Tour; the United States Golf Association (USGA) has conducted the championship since 1953.
Louise Suggs, the 1949 champion, won the second of her two U.S. Women's Open titles, seven strokes ahead of runners-up Marlene Bauer and Betty Jameson. It was the sixth of eleven major championships for Suggs, whose lead after 36 holes was four strokes, and extended to seven strokes after the third round.
The championship was played in hot weather; temperatures in the first round on Thursday exceeded 100 °F (38 °C).
Past champions in the field
|Player||Country||Year won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Louise Suggs||United States||1949||70||69||70||75||284||+8||1|
|Betty Jameson||United States||1947||71||73||72||75||291||+15||T2|
|Betsy Rawls||United States||1951||72||72||78||75||297||+21||7|
|Patty Berg||United States||1946||69||77||79||74||299||+23||9|
Sunday, June 29, 1952
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Louise Suggs||United States||70-69-70-75=284||+8||1,750|
|T2||Marlene Bauer||United States||83-70-67-71=291||+15||1,120|
|Betty Jameson||United States||71-73-72-75=291|
|4||Beverly Hanson||United States||76-73-75-69=293||+17||770|
|T5||Peggy Kirk Bell||United States||77-75-70-73=295||+19||560|
|Betty Mackinnon||United States||74-72-73-76=295|
|7||Betsy Rawls||United States||72-72-78-75=297||+21||350|
|8||Alice Bauer||United States||76-72-80-70=298||+22||245|
|9||Patty Berg||United States||69-77-79-74=299||+23||210|
|10||Dorothy Germain Porter (a)||United States||72-78-76-74 =300||+24||0|
- "Louise Suggs has Open title in easy reach". Lewistom Morning Tribune. Associated Press. June 29, 1952. p. 9.
- "Betsy Rawls rated golf meet favorite". Spokane Daily Chronicle. Associated Press. June 26, 1952. p. 18.
- Talbot, Gayle (June 24, 1953). "First Open championship in play at Rochester, NY Thurs.". Nashua Telegraph. Associated Press. p. 15.
- Voepel, Mechelle (July 7, 2002). "Founders marvel at tour's success". Toledo Blade. p. 5, section JF.
- "Louise Suggs wins Open with world's record 284". Pittsburgh Press. United Press. June 30, 1952. p. 20.
- "Suggs wins U.S. Open in record 284". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. June 30, 1952. p. 2, part 2.
- "L. Suggs holds women's lead". Spokesman-Review. Associated Press. June 28, 1952. p. 10.
- "Berg needs aid in women's golf". Spokesman-Review. Associated Press. June 27, 1952. p. 10.
- USGA final leaderboard
- U.S. Women's Open Golf Championship
- U.S. Women's Open – past champions – 1952
- Bala Golf Club