1954 Belgian Grand Prix
|Race 3 of 9 in the 1954 Formula One season|
|Date||20 June 1954|
|Official name||XVI Grand Prix de Belgique|
|Location||Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Francorchamps, Belgium|
|Course||Permanent racing circuit|
|Course length||14.120 km (8.774 mi)|
|Distance||36 laps, 508.320 km (315.855 mi)|
|Weather||Sunny, mild, dry|
|Driver||Juan Manuel Fangio||Maserati|
|Time||4:25.5 on lap 13|
The 1954 Belgian Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held at Spa-Francorchamps on 20 June 1954. It was the third round of the 1954 World Drivers' Championship. The 36-lap race was won by Maserati driver Juan Manuel Fangio after he started from pole position. Maurice Trintignant finished second for the Ferrari team with Fangio's teammate Stirling Moss in third.
This was to be Fangio's last Championship race of the season for Maserati as the new Mercedes cars would be ready in France. There were only three makes contesting this round – Maserati, Ferrari and Gordini. Despite Farina having an arm in plaster after a crash in the Mille Miglia he managed to lead away from the start. Fangio soon overtook him, but lost the lead whilst adjusting his rain visor. A frantic duel ensued, with the Argentine coming out in the lead. Farina battled furiously, but an engine blow-up cost him a chance of a race win. Fangio cruised home an easy winner from Trintignant and Moss in his privately entered Maserati.
|1||Juan Manuel Fangio||Maserati||Maserati||4:22.1|
|2||José Froilán González||Ferrari||Ferrari||4:23.6||1.5|
|1||26||Juan Manuel Fangio||Maserati||36||2:44:42.4||1||9|
|2||8||Maurice Trintignant||Ferrari||36||+ 24.2||6||6|
|3||22||Stirling Moss||Maserati||35||+ 1 Lap||9||4|
|4||10|| Mike Hawthorn
José Froilán González
|Ferrari||35||+ 1 Lap||5||1.5
|5||18||André Pilette||Gordini||35||+ 1 Lap||8||2|
|6||20||Prince Bira||Maserati||35||+ 1 Lap||13|
|7||30||Sergio Mantovani||Maserati||34||+ 2 Laps||11|
|Ret||6||José Froilán González||Ferrari||1||Engine||2|
- Shared Drive – Car #10: Hawthorn (20 laps) then González (15 laps)
- F1 Firsts: First podium finish for Trintignant and Moss; First points for Moss and Pilette (this would be Pilette's only points).
- Records broken: Fangio's 11th career fast lap gives him sole possession of most fast laps.
- This is the last race that Farina would start in 1954 (he would miss the rest of the season due to injury). He is the last driver to have started in all non-Indy 500 championship races. Thus ending his record string of 30 straight Grand Prix starts.
- de Graffenried (Maserati) also participated as a camera car to record footage for the film The Racers.
Championship standings after the race
- Drivers' Championship standings
|1||Juan Manuel Fangio||17|
|1||4||José Froilán González||6.5|
- Note: Only the top five positions are included. Only the best 5 results counted towards the Championship.
1954 Indianapolis 500
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1954 French Grand Prix
1953 Belgian Grand Prix
|Belgian Grand Prix||Next race:
1955 Belgian Grand Prix