1954 PGA Championship
|Dates||July 21–27, 1954|
|Location||Maplewood, Minnesota, U.S.|
|Course(s)||Keller Golf Club|
|Organized by||PGA of America|
|Format||Match play - 6 rounds|
|Length||6,652 yards (6,083 m)|
64 to match play
|Cut||147 (+5), no playoff needed|
|def. Walter Burkemo, 4 & 3|
The 1954 PGA Championship was the 36th PGA Championship, held July 21–27 at Keller Golf Club in Maplewood, Minnesota, a suburb north of St. Paul. Chick Harbert won the match play championship, 4 & 3 over defending champion Walter Burkemo in the Tuesday final; the winner's share was $5,000 and the runner-up's was $3,000.
It marked the second time the PGA Championship returned to a venue; public Keller had also hosted in 1932; Oakmont near Pittsburgh hosted in 1922 and 1951. It was the third and last final for the two finalists, both from the Detroit area; each had one victory and two losses. Harbert lost in 1947 and 1952, while Burkemo lost in 1951 and won in 1953.
In the finals, Burkemo eagled the first hole and was three up after four holes, but soon cooled off; the match was even on the twelfth tee and Harbert led by one at the lunch break. The afternoon round was bogey-free for both, but Harbert had five birdies to Burkemo's two and the match ended on the 33rd green.
- Wednesday and Thursday – 36-hole stroke play qualifier, 18 holes per day;
- the defending champion Walter Burkemo and top 63 professionals advanced to match play
- Friday – first two rounds, 18 holes each
- Saturday – third round – 36 holes
- Sunday – quarterfinals – 36 holes
- Monday – semifinals – 36 holes
- Tuesday – final – 36 holes
Past champions in the field
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||Record||Advanced to||Finish|
|Walter Burkemo||United States||1953||5–1||Finals||2|
|Sam Snead||United States||1942, 1949, 1951||3–1||Quarterfinals||T5|
|Johnny Revolta||United States||1935||2–1||Third round||T9|
|Jim Turnesa||United States||1952||0–1||First round||T33|
Failed to qualify
|Player||Country||Year won||R1||R2||Total||To par|
|Chandler Harper||United States||1950||72||76||148||+6|
|Vic Ghezzi||United States||1941||75||75||150||+8|
Tuesday, July 27, 1954
|1||Chick Harbert||United States||5,000|
|2||Walter Burkemo||United States||3,000|
|T3||Tommy Bolt||United States||750|
|Cary Middlecoff||United States|
|T5||Jerry Barber||United States||500|
|Roberto De Vicenzo||Argentina|
|Shelley Mayfield||United States|
|Sam Snead||United States|
Final eight bracket
|Roberto De Vicenzo|
Final match scorecards
^ = picked up ball (hole concession)
4 & 3
- "Oliver sets PGA pace with 5-under 66". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. July 22, 1954. p. 17.
- "Tournament Info for: 1954 PGA Championship". PGA.com. Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- Bartlett, Charles (July 28, 1954). "Harbert, 39, wins pro golf title". Chicago Daily Tribune. p. 1, part 3.
- "Harbert is victor in PGA finals". Youngstown Vindicator. (Ohio). United Press. July 28, 1954. p. 16.
- Bartlett, Charles (July 23, 1954). "Oliver's 136 wins PGA trials medal". Chicago Daily Tribune. p. 1, part 3.
- "Porky Oliver's 136 wins national PGA medal". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. July 23, 1954. p. 19.
- "Fancy field of 8 move into PGA quarterfinals". Palm Beach Post. Associated Press. July 25, 1954. p. 46.
- Bartlett, Charles (July 25, 1954). "Snead and Burkemo gain P.G.A. quarter-final berths". Chicago Daily Tribune. p. 1, part 2.
- "First round PGA scores". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. July 22, 1954. p. 17.