1954 in France
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Events from the year 1954 in France.
- President: Vincent Auriol (until 16 January), Rene Coty (starting 16 January)
- President of the Council of Ministers: Joseph Laniel (until 19 June), Pierre Mendès France (starting 19 June)
- 25 January - The foreign ministers of the United States, Britain, France and the Soviet Union meet at the Berlin Conference.
- 13 March - Battle of Dien Bien Phu begins in Vietnam.
- 23 March - In Vietnam, the Viet Minh capture the main airstrip of Dien Bien Phu - French forces are partially isolated.
- 29 March - C-47 with French nurse Genevieve de Galard on board is incapacitated on Dien Bien Phu runway.
- 7 May - Battle of Dien Bien Phu ends in defeat for French forces.
- 18 June - Pierre Mendès-France becomes prime minister of France.
- 24 June - Battle of Mang Yang Pass begins, the last official battle of the First Indochina War.
- 17 July - Battle of Mang Yang Pass ends in defeat for French forces.
- 20 July - Battlefield ceasefire announced.
- 21 July - The Geneva Conference partitions Vietnam into North Vietnam and South Vietnam.
- 1 August - Armistice effected, sealing French defeat.
- 31 October - The Algerian National Liberation Front begins a revolt against French rule.
- 1 November - The FLN attacks Representative and public buildings of the France colonial power.
- 13 February - Dominique Bathenay, international soccer player
- 4 March - François Fillon, Prime Minister of France
- 1 May - Fred Chichin, musician and songwriter (died 2007)
- 27 July - Philippe Alliot, former motor racing driver
- 9 August - Loïc Amisse, soccer player and manager
- 21 August - Humbert Balsan, film producer (died 2005)
- 17 September - Joël-François Durand, composer
- 8 October - Frédéric Antonetti, soccer player and manager
- 18 October - Edouard Stern, banker (died 2005)
- 10 April - Auge Lumière, filmmaker (born 1862)
- 28 April - Léon Jouhaux, trade union leader who received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1951 (born 1879)
- 3 August - Colette, writer (born 1873)
- 3 November - Henri Matisse, artist (born 1869)
- 8 December - Claude Cahun, photographer and writer (born 1894)
- 23 December - René Iché, sculptor (born 1897)