1954 in South Africa
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Monarch: Queen Elizabeth II.
- Governor-General and High Commissioner for Southern Africa: Ernest George Jansen.
- Prime Minister: Daniel François Malan (until 30 November), Johannes Gerhardus Strijdom (starting 30 November).
- Chief Justice: Albert van der Sandt Centlivres.
- 17 – The Federation of South African Women is launched in Johannesburg.
- 23 – The Afrikaans-German Culture Union (Afrikaanse-Deutsche Kultuurgemeinschaft - ADK) is founded in Pretoria.
- 23 – The Trust Bank of South Africa is founded by Jan S. Marais.
- 10 – The much-travelled statue of Paul Kruger is unveiled in Church Square, Pretoria by Dr. D.F. Malan.
- 11 – Daniel François Malan announces his retirement.
- Unknown date
- 13 January – Trevor Rabin, South African–American musician, founder member of Rabbitt.
- 2 May – Bulelani Ngcuka, first national director of the National Prosecuting Authority.
- 23 August – Ngconde Balfour, politician.
- 5 November – Koos Kombuis, poet, singer, entertainer and writer.
- 26 November – John Matshikiza, actor, theatre director, poet and journalist. (d. 2008)
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (November 2013)
Two new Cape gauge steam locomotive types enter service on the South African Railways (SAR).
- The first of 120 Class GMA branch line and Class GMAM mainline 4-8-2+2-8-4 "Double Mountain" Garratt articulated locomotives.
- Twenty-five Class GO 4-8-2+2-8-4 "Double Mountain" light branch line Garratt locomotives.
- 1 May – The South Africa national football team beats the Israel national football team 2-1 at the Rand Stadium, Johannesburg in a friendly match.
- Holland, D. F. (1972). Steam Locomotives of the South African Railways. 2: 1910-1955 (1st ed.). Newton Abbott, Devon: David & Charles. pp. 110–114. ISBN 978-0-7153-5427-8.
- Paxton, Leith; Bourne, David (1985). Locomotives of the South African Railways (1st ed.). Cape Town: Struik. pp. 95–96. ISBN 0869772112.
- Hamilton, Gavin N., The Garratt Locomotive - Garratt Locomotives produced by Beyer, Peacock, retrieved 10 November 2012
- Hamilton, Gavin N., The Garratt Locomotive - Garratt Locomotives from Other Builders, retrieved 10 November 2012