1955 Belgian Grand Prix
|Date||June 5, 1955|
|Official name||XVII GROTE PRIJS VAN BELGIE|
|Location||Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||14.120 km (8.774 mi)|
|Distance||36 laps, 508.320 km (315.855 mi)|
|Driver||Juan Manuel Fangio||Mercedes|
The 1955 Belgian Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held at Spa-Francorchamps on June 5, 1955. It was race 4 of 7 in the 1955 World Championship of Drivers. The 36-lap race was won by Mercedes driver Juan Manuel Fangio after he started from second position. His teammate Stirling Moss finished second and Ferrari driver Nino Farina came in third.
This was the easiest of wins for Mercedes. With the absence of Lancia, there was very little competition. Fangio disappeared into the distance with Moss tracking him round. Private entrant Eugenio Castellotti retired after 16 laps, Jean Behra crashed and Hawthorn's Vanwall had an oil leak The domination of the silver cars was such that they came in over 2 minutes ahead of Farina in third place after he had lost a great deal of time attempting unsuccessfully to pass Castellotti.
|1||10||Juan Manuel Fangio||Mercedes||36||2:39:29.0||2||9|
|5||24|| Roberto Mieres
|6||4||Maurice Trintignant||Ferrari||35||+1 Lap||10|
|7||22||Luigi Musso||Maserati||34||+2 Laps||7|
|8||26||Cesare Perdisa||Maserati||33||+3 Laps||11|
|9||28||Louis Rosier||Maserati||33||+3 Laps||12|
|Ret||12||Karl Kling||Mercedes||21||Oil Leak||6|
|Ret||20||Jean Behra||Maserati||3||Spun Off||5|
- Shared Drive: Car #24: Roberto Mieres (10 laps) and Jean Behra (25 laps). They shared the 2 points for fifth place.
- Harry Schell set a grid time but his car was driven by teammate Maurice Trintignant.
- Team Lancia withdrew from Formula 1 after Alberto Ascari's fatal accident. Eugenio Castellotti was a private entrant.
Championship standings after the race
- Drivers' Championship standings
|1||1||Juan Manuel Fangio||19|
|1||2||Maurice Trintignant||11 1⁄3|
|1||3||Nino Farina||10 1⁄3|
- Note: Only the top five positions are included.
- Steve Small - The Grand Prix Who's Who, 1996
- Sheldon and Rabagliati - A Record of Grand Prix and Voiturette Racing, Volume 6, 1954-1959, 1987
- James Allen on F1 - video of 1955 event
- Half-hour HiDef copy of contemporary film of the 1955 GP
1955 Indianapolis 500
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1955 Dutch Grand Prix
1954 Belgian Grand Prix
|Belgian Grand Prix||Next race:
1956 Belgian Grand Prix