1955 U.S. Women's Open Golf Championship
|Dates||June 30 – July 2, 1955|
|Course(s)||Wichita Country Club|
|Format||Stroke play – 72 holes|
|Length||6,330 yards (5,788 m)|
The 1955 U.S. Women's Open Golf Championship was the tenth U.S. Women's Open, held from June 30 to July 2 at Wichita Country Club in Wichita, Kansas. It was the third conducted by the United States Golf Association (USGA).
Fay Crocker led wire-to-wire and won the first of her two major championships, four strokes ahead of runners-up Mary Lena Faulk and Louise Suggs. From Uruguay, Crocker was the first international winner of the U.S. Women's Open. She posted a 72 in the second round on Friday in difficult blustery conditions, with winds of 40 mph (64 km/h), and had an eight shot lead after 36 holes. A 79 (+7) in the wind in the third round on Saturday morning reduced it to a single stroke over Faulk, with Suggs another two strokes back.
This was the second U.S. Women's Open played in Wichita; the first in 1950 was at Rolling Hills Country Club.
Past champions in the field
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Louise Suggs||United States||1949, 1952||79||77||72||75||303||+15||T2|
|Patty Berg||United States||1946||78||80||78||71||307||+19||5|
|Betty Jameson||United States||1947||83||77||76||76||312||+24||T9|
|Betsy Rawls||United States||1951, 1953||84||81||84||77||326||+38||T18|
Saturday, July 2, 1955
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|T2||Mary Lena Faulk||United States||77-77-72-77=303||+15||1,125|
|Louise Suggs||United States||79-77-72-75=303|
|4||Jackie Pung||United States||79-76-76-75=306||+18||750|
|5||Patty Berg||United States||78-80-78-71=307||+19||600|
|T6||Polly Riley (a)||United States||80-78-74-77=309||+21||0|
|Jackie Yates (a)||United States||76-79-76-78=309|
|8||Pat Lesser (a)||United States||81-76-79-75=311||+23||0|
|T9||Beverly Hanson||United States||87-76-77-72=312||+24||450|
|Betty Jameson||United States||83-77-76-76=312|
- "Fay Crocker captures Women's National Open". Palm Beach Post-Times. Associated Press. July 3, 1955. p. 23.
- "Crocker leading National Open". St. Petersburg Times. Associated Press. July 1, 1955. p. 15.
- "Crocker expands lead in Wichita". Wilmington Morning Star. Associated Press. July 2, 1955. p. 8.
- "Crocker new queen of women's circuit". Lawrence Journal-World. Associated Press. July 4, 1955. p. 7.
- Considine, Bob (August 6, 1956). "Babe Zaharias, greatest girl athlete of all time, fights gamely in big battle". Spokane Daily Chronicle. p. 1.
- "Babe Zaharias loses match with cancer, dies in sleep". Free Lance-Star. Fredericksburg, Virginia. Associated Press. September 27, 1956. p. 8.
- USGA final leaderboard
- U.S. Women's Open Golf Championship
- U.S. Women's Open – past champions – 1955
- Wichita Country Club