1955 in India
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1955 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – Rajendra Prasad
- Prime Minister of India – Jawaharlal Nehru
- Chief Justice of India – Bijan Kumar Mukherjea
- The Imperial Bank of India, the oldest (est. 1921) and the largest commercial bank of the Indian subcontinent, was transformed into the State Bank of India.
- The Hindu Marriage Act enacted
- 2 May – Maharaj Krishan Kaushik, field hockey player and coach.
- 25 August – Khan Shein Kunwar, short story writer.
- 17 October – Smita Patil, actress (died 1986).
- 5 November – Karan Thapar, television commentator and interviewer.
- 13 December – Manohar Parrikar, politician and Chief Minister of Goa.
Full date unknown
- Rohini Hattangadi, actress.
- 1 January – Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar, scientist (born 1894).
|This Indian history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|