1955 in Turkey
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article is incomplete.(October 2014)
|See also:||List of years in Turkey|
Events in the year 1955 in Turkey.
Ruling party and the main opposition
- 24 January – Mine accident in Zonguldak
- 19 February – Agreement between Turkey and Greece on the rehabilitation of the River Meriç
- 24 February – CENTO agreement
- 15 April – Fuat Köprülü one of the founders of the Democrat Party (DP) resigned from the government
- 22 May – Polemics in the parliament
- 16 July – The magnitude 6.8 Soke–Aydin earthquake shook the Aydın Province with a maximum Mercalli intensity of IX (Violent), causing severe damage and four deaths.
- 6/7 September – Unchecked demonstrations in İstanbul and the other big cities against Greeks. Martial law in three cities.
- 15 October – A crisis in the ruling party about the right to prove in press. Nine MPs were expelled from the party and Ten MPs resigned.
- 23 October – Census (the population: 24064763)
- 13 November – Local elections
- 20 December – Liberty Party was founded by the MPs expelled from the DP.
- 22 January – Filiz Koçali, feminist activist
- 2 March – Samet Aybaba, former football player and currently coach
- 20 March – Zerrin Güngör, president of the Council of State
- 1 April – İlhan İrem , singer
- 5 May – Mehmet Terzi, medal winning long distance runner
- 18 May – Altan Erkekli, actor
- 23 May – Mansur Yavaş, politician
- 31 May – Nilüfer Yumlu, singer
- 18 July – Banu Avar, journalist, political commentator
- 14 August – Güler Sabancı, industrialist
- 3 September – Cem Boyner, industrialist
- 3 October – Buket Uzuner, writer
- 2 December, Murat Bardakçı, journalist and historian
- 22 May – Nene Hatun (birth 1857), a heroine who fought against the Russians during the Battle of Erzurum
- 1 July – Adnan Adıvar (birth 1882), politician and historian
- 2 July – Fatma Seher Erden (Kara Fatma, birth 1888), a heroine who fought during the Turkish War of Independence
- 25 July – Ali Naci Karacan (birth 1896), journalist and publisher