1956 Monaco Grand Prix
|Date||13 May 1956|
|Official name||XIV Grand Prix Automobile de Monaco|
|Location||Circuit de Monaco|
|Course length||3.145 km (1.954 mi)|
|Distance||100 laps, 314.500 km (195.421 mi)|
|Weather||Warm, dry, sunny|
|Driver||Juan Manuel Fangio||Ferrari|
The Owen's B.R.M. made their first appearance but after qualifying both cars were withdrawn due to engine valve problems. The other two non-starters were also teammates: the too slow Scarlatti and Chiron due to his engine blowing up in practice.
Moss, starting from the middle of the front row, took the lead at Gasworks on the first lap and led every lap. Fangio was not having a good day. He hit the straw bales on lap 2, causing Schell and Musso to retire when trying to avoid him, and on lap 32 he hit the harbour wall, bending a rear wheel. He turned the car over to Castellotti after the pit stop to fix the wheel. On lap 54 while second, Collins came in the pit and turned his car over to Fangio. He resumed in third and passed Behra for second on lap 70 but he was 47 seconds behind Moss. On lap 86 Perdisa's brakes locked when being lapped by Moss, the resulting contact caused Moss's bonnet to lift allowing Fangio to close the gap by two seconds each lap but Moss won with a 6-second cushion.
|2||26|| Peter Collins
Juan Manuel Fangio
|3||30||Jean Behra||Maserati||99||+1 Lap||4||4|
|4||20|| Juan Manuel Fangio
|5||6||Hermano da Silva Ramos||Gordini||93||+7 Laps||14||2|
|6||4|| Élie Bayol
|7||32||Cesare Perdisa||Maserati||86||+14 Laps||7|
|8||18||Horace Gould||Maserati||85||+15 Laps||16|
|WD||10||Mike Hawthorn||BRM||Engine Valve|
|WD||12||Tony Brooks||BRM||Engine Valve|
|WD||34||Louis Chiron||Maserati||Blown Engine|
- Shared Drives:
- Car #26: Peter Collins (54 laps) and Juan Manuel Fangio (46 laps). They shared the 6 points for second place (Fangio also scored an extra point for achieving fastest lap).
- Car #20: Juan Manuel Fangio (40 laps) and Eugenio Castellotti (54 laps). Since Fangio received points for second, only Castellotti received the 1.5 points for the shared fourth.
- Car #4: Élie Bayol (44 laps) and André Pilette (44 laps).
- Grand Prix debut for: Tony Brooks and Giorgio Scarlatti.
- Last Grand Prix appearance for: Élie Bayol
- Career Firsts: Peter Collins and Hermano da Silva Ramos (points); Peter Collins (podium).
- First time in Championship history with 2 English drivers on the podium.
Championship standings after the race
- Drivers' Championship standings
|2||Juan Manuel Fangio||9|
- Note: Only the top five positions are included.
1956 Argentine Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1956 Indianapolis 500
1955 Monaco Grand Prix
|Monaco Grand Prix||Next race:
1957 Monaco Grand Prix