1957 Oklahoma Sooners football team
|1957 Oklahoma Sooners football|
Big Seven champion
Orange Bowl champion
|Conference||Big Seven Conference|
|1957 record||10–1 (6–0 Big 7)|
|Head coach||Bud Wilkinson (11th season)|
|Home stadium||Oklahoma Memorial Stadium|
|1957 Big 7 football standings|
|No. 4 Oklahoma $||6||–||0||–||0||10||–||1||–||0|
Rankings from AP Poll
The 1957 Oklahoma Sooners football team represented the University of Oklahoma during the 1957 NCAA University Division football season. They played their home games at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in Norman, Oklahoma, and were members of the Big Seven Conference. They were two-time defending national champions (1955, 1956), led by head coach Bud Wilkinson, in his eleventh season.
The Sooners won their first seven games in 1957, but were upset at home by unranked Notre Dame on November 16, stopping Oklahoma's record-breaking win streak at 47 games. It was their only loss of the season; they finished fourth in both final polls in early December, and won the Orange Bowl in January.
|September 21||at No. 8 Pittsburgh*||No. 1||W 26–0||59,025|
|October 5||Iowa State||No. 1||W 40–14||53,392|
|October 12||vs. Texas*||No. 1||NBC||W 21–7||75,505|
|October 19||Kansas||No. 2||W 47–0||51,582|
|October 26||Colorado||No. 1||NBC||W 14–13||61,624|
|November 2||at Kansas State||No. 2||W 13–0||15,480|
|November 9||at No. 19 Missouri||No. 2||W 39–14||39,018|
|November 16||Notre Dame*||No. 2||NBC||L 0–7||63,170|
|November 23||at Nebraska||No. 6||W 32–7||29,844|
|November 30||Oklahoma State*||No. 5||W 53–6||52,366|
|January 1, 1958||vs. No. 16 Duke*||No. 4||CBS||W 48–21||76,561|
- "Irish snap Sooners' string, 7-0". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. November 17, 1957. p. 1C.
- "Coaches rate Buckeyes tops in final poll". Reading Eagle. (Pennsylvania). UPI. December 2, 1957. p. 18.
- "Auburn tops final poll; Badgers 19th". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. December 3, 1957. p. 4, part 2.
- "Sooners cash in on six mistakes; crush Duke, 48-21". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. January 2, 1958. p. 3, part 2.
- "SoonerSports.com". Archived from the original on 2008-02-29. Retrieved 2012-10-24.