1957 in India
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1957 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – Rajendra Prasad
- Prime Minister of India – Jawaharlal Nehru
- Chief Justice of India – Sudhi Ranjan Das
- India passes a bill making Kashmir under its control as part of the Union.
- 5 April – First elected government of Kerala. Communist Party of India won the elections and E. M. S. Namboodiripad became the first chief minister of united Kerala.
- Parliament passes the Copyright Act of 1957
- 1 February – Jackie Shroff, actor.
- 22 August – Deepti Naval, actress.
- Thomas Zacharia, computational scientist.
- Akhalesh Bisaria, nuclear waste engineer
- 5 April – Alagappa Chettiar, businessman and philanthropist (born 1909).
- 30 August – N. S. Krishnan, comedian, actor, playback singer and writer (born 1908).