1958 in jazz
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1958 in jazz|
Jazz pianist Billy Strayhorn in 1958
|Decade||1950s in jazz|
|Music||1958 in music|
|Standards||List of post-1950 jazz standards|
|See also||1957 in jazz – 1959 in jazz|
This is a timeline documenting events of Jazz in the year 1958.
- 12 – A Great Day in Harlem, a black and white group photograph of 57 notable jazz musicians, is taken in front of a brownstone building in Harlem, New York City.
- Sonny Rollins: Freedom Suite
- Jimmy Giuffre: Western Suite
- Art Blakey: Moanin'
- Cecil Taylor: Looking Ahead!
- Jimmy Smith: The Sermon!
- Blue Mitchell: Big 6
- Max Roach: Deeds, Not Words
- Clark Terry: In Orbit
- Cannonball Adderley: Somethin' Else
- Chico Hamilton: Gongs East!
- Hank Mobley: Peckin' Time
- Mongo Santamaria: Yambu
- Cal Tjader: Latin Concert
- Toots Thielemans: Man Bites Harmonica!
- Thelonious Monk: Misterioso
- Jimmy Giuffre: The Four Brothers Sound
See also: List of post-1950 jazz standards
- Carl Perkins, American jazz pianist
- Danny Alvin, American jazz drummer and bandleader
- Doc Cook, American jazz bandleader and arranger
- Fulton McGrath, American jazz pianist and songwriter
- George E. Lee, American jazz bandleader.
- Herbie Fields, American Alto saxophone and clarinet player, bandleader
- Joe Morris, jazz and rhythm and blues trumpeter and bandleader
- Lorraine Geller, American jazz pianist
- Martha Boswell, American singer and pianist
- Shifty Henry, American musician, most noted as a double bass and bass guitar player, and blues songwriter
- Sterling Bose, American jazz trumpeter and cornetist
- Ted Donnelly, American jazz trombonist.
- Tiny Bradshaw, American jazz and rhythm and blues bandleader, singer, composer, pianist, and drummer
- Tom Brown, New Orleans dixieland jazz trombonist
- W. C. Handy, American blues composer and musician
- Ana Caram, singer, guitarist and flutist
- Andrew Lamb, saxophponist and flautist
- Anita Baker, singer-songwriter
- Anne-Marie Giørtz, Norwegian singer
- Bajone, singer
- Bill Evans, saxophonist
- Bjørn Klakegg, Norwegian guitarist
- Bruce Barth, pianist
- Bruno Marini, Italian baritone saxophone and Hammond organ player
- Béla Fleck, banjo player
- Carles Cases,
- Carlos del Junco, harmonica musician
- Chieli Minucci, guitarist, composer, producer
- Claude Deppa, trumpeter
- David Berkman, pianist, composer, arranger
- David Finck, bassist
- David Hazeltine, pianist
- Don Byron, composer and multi-instrumentalist
- Don Laka, pianist, songwriter, producer
- Ellen Sandweiss,
- Frans Bak, composer, saxophonist, pianist
- Gabriel Fliflet, Norwegian accordionist
- Gar Samuelson, drummer
- George Koller, bassist and multi-instrumentalist
- George Schuller, drummer
- Greg Boyer, trombonist
- Howard Alden, guitarist
- Jair-Rôhm Parker Wells,
- Jakko Jakszyk, guitarist, singer-songwriter
- Jan Gunnar Hoff, Norwegian pianist
- Jeanie Bryson, singer
- Jerry Zigmont, trombonist
- Jesse Boyd, bassist
- Jesse McGuire, trumpeter
- Jim Campilongo, guitarist/composer
- Jim Snidero, saxophonist
- Joe DeRenzo, drummer, composer and producer
- Kenny Drew, Jr., pianist
- Kenny Washington, drummer
- Kevin Mahogany, vocalist
- Kirk Whalum, saxophonist and songwriter
- Lannie Battistini, keyboardist, composer
- Leon Lee Dorsey, bassist
- Leroy Jones, trumpeter
- Lewis Nash, drummer
- Mary Ann Redmond, singer
- Michael Formanek, bassist
- Michael Weiss, pianist and composer
- Nancy Zeltsman, marimba soloist
- Paul Grabowsky, pianist and composer
- Roberto Gatto, drummer
- Rodney Franklin, pianist and composer
- Ronan Guilfoyle,
- Stevie Vallance,
- Tom Schuman, keyboardist
- Ulf Wakenius, Swedish guitarist
- Wolfgang Mitterer
- "Newport Jazz Festival 1958 Poster". Rirocks.net. Retrieved 2016-05-03.
- The New Real Book, Volume I. Sher Music. 1988. ISBN 0-9614701-4-3.
- The New Real Book, Volume II. Sher Music. 1991. ISBN 0-9614701-7-8.
- The New Real Book, Volume III. Sher Music. 1995. ISBN 1-883217-30-X.
- The Real Book, Volume I (6th ed.). Hal Leonard. 2004. ISBN 0-634-06038-4.
- The Real Book, Volume II (2nd ed.). Hal Leonard. 2007. ISBN 1-4234-2452-2.
- The Real Book, Volume III (2nd ed.). Hal Leonard. 2006. ISBN 0-634-06136-4.
- The Real Jazz Book. Warner Bros. ISBN 978-91-85041-36-7.
- The Real Vocal Book, Volume I. Hal Leonard. 2006. ISBN 0-634-06080-5.