1959–60 Minneapolis Lakers season
|1959–60 Minneapolis Lakers season|
|Head coach||John Castellani
|Place||Division: 3rd (Western)|
|Playoff finish||Division Finals
The 1959–60 NBA season was the Lakers' 12th season in the NBA. The Lakers finished in third-place in the NBA Western Division with a record of 25–50, 21 games behind the St. Louis Hawks. In their final season in the Twin Cities, the Lakers made the playoffs and defeated the Detroit Pistons two games to none in the Western Division Semifinals, before losing the West Finals to the Hawks, four games to three.
On January 18, the team had a harrowing flight in a snowstorm, returning to Minneapolis from St. Louis. The team's DC-3 had electrical problems and made an emergency landing in a cornfield near Carroll, Iowa.
|x-St. Louis Hawks||46||29||.613||–||28–5||12–20||6–4||27–12|
- x – clinched playoff spot
Record vs. opponents
|1959–60 NBA records|
West Division Semifinals
- Game 1 @ Detroit: Minneapolis 113, Detroit 112
- Game 2 @ Minneapolis: Minneapolis 114, Detroit 99
West Division Finals
- Game 1 @ St. Louis: St. Louis 112, Minneapolis 99
- Game 2 @ St. Louis: Minneapolis 120, St. Louis 113
- Game 3 @ Minneapolis: St. Louis 93, Minneapolis 89
- Game 4 @ Minneapolis: Minneapolis 103, St. Louis 101
- Game 5 @ St. Louis: Minneapolis 117, St. Louis 110 (OT)
- Game 6 @ Minneapolis: St. Louis 117, Minneapolis 96
- Game 7 @ St. Louis: St. Louis 97, Minneapolis 86
Awards and records
- Elgin Baylor, All-NBA First Team
- Elgin Baylor, NBA All-Star Game
- Dick Garmaker, NBA All-Star Game
- Rod Hundley, NBA All-Star Game
- 1959–60 Minneapolis Lakers
- "Plane in storm lands on farm". Reading Eagle. Pennsylvania. Associated Press. January 19, 1960. p. 13.
- "Plane lands in cornfield; Lakers OK". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. January 19, 1960. p. 3, part 2.
- Bonsignore, Vincent (June 4, 2001). "Lakers almost came to tragic end in 1960". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. (Los Angeles Daily News). p. C3.
- "Lakers glad to be home after ordeal". Pittsburgh Press. UPI. January 19, 1960. p. 24.